11 Hidden Gems You Have To See In Kansas Before You Die
Kansas has received a reputation as being a “boring flyover state” and do you know what? I can see why; but hear me out! If you have only seen the great Sunflower State via I-70, there is a good chance that you were in too big of a hurry to take in the beautiful scenery and to see what our state is REALLY about. Whether you live here or are an out-of-towner, the following hidden gems in Kansas are ones that you need to see to understand how special our state truly is:
Discover even more Kansas goodness by visiting These jaw-dropping places in Kansas that will blow you away! Need somewhere to stay while you’re here? Check out the offerings from our friends at Booking.com!
What are some of your favorite hidden gems in Kansas? Let us know!
More to Explore
Hidden Gems in Kansas
What are some of the best hidden gems in Kansas?
Honestly, if you ask us, ALL of Kansas is a hidden gem. It’s such a terribly underrated place, with some truly beautiful landscapes and a friendly culture all its own. But hidden within this hidden gem are its own hidden gems, all of which are worth looking into. Some of the coolest hidden gems in Kansas include:
- The Keystone Gallery – This is a gift shop and fossil museum unlike any others you’ll have ever visited. It’s small, but it’s mighty! You can’t miss it.
- Hedrick’s Bed and Breakfast – This delightful little escape is located on an exotic animal farm. How cool is that?
- The Lee Richardson Zoo – This zoo might be the best one in Kansas, with 47 acres and more than 100 amazing species of animals to learn about.
Learn about these delightful hidden gems in Kansas!
Which hidden gems in Kansas belong on my outdoors bucket list?
Of course, the list of hidden gems in Kansas doesn’t begin (or end) with the above; it’s a long list, honestly, one that we can’t duplicate in a couple of paragraphs. That being said, even MORE notable hidden gems – these ones all in the great outdoors – also belong on your bucket list:
- Mushroom Rock State Park – Anyone who says Kansas is just boring and flat has obviously never been to this bizarre state park featuring some truly fascinating geological wonders.
- Mount Sunflower – This is the highest point in Kansas. Which is cool, in its own funny way.
- Horsethief Canyon – This absolutely gorgeous slice of heaven looks like something out of a movie, not the plains!
Learn more about some more wonderful hidden places in Kansas.
Which Kansas hidden gems belong on a hidden gems road trip?
Kansas is home, sweet home to so many of us, and it’s totally wild how many things in Kansas have fallen under the radar. There are even MORE Kansas hidden gems that ought to be part of a road trip, like:
- The Troll of Wichita – It's a troll. In Wichita. What else could you want?
- The Huge Van Gogh Reproduction in Goodland – This is super awesome even for those who aren’t huge art fanatics.
- The Cedar Point Mill – Stopping here is a must, especially for anyone interested in Kansas’s wonder-filled history.
Learn more about these stops on our pre-planned Kansas hidden gems road trip.