Kansas October 04, 2018
13 Surefire Signs You’re Meant To Spend The Rest Of Your Life In Kansas
Kansas is such a beautiful and caring place, as long as you’re just as caring. There’s plenty here for the outdoorsy type, the sporty type, or the business type. We’ve got plenty of things to do all over the state, and the food will keep you around even if nothing else does. Plus, who could resist these beautiful skies every day? You might not know it yet, but life in Kansas might be the perfect thing for you. Sometimes it’s just meant to be, and we’re here to help you find out.
1. You take the time to know more about the people around you.
Neighbors, grocery store clerks, and your mailperson are great people that you should get to know, because you'll be seeing them often.
2. You enjoy bringing cookies or other labors of love to friends, for the holidays or just because.
When I was growing up, we always gave cookies (usually peppernuts) to our neighbors, teachers, mailperson, and other people we appreciated. Sometimes, it's the small things that count the most. Plus, peppernuts are great, and should be shared with everyone.
3. You stop and stare for a while when the sun is setting here.
Kansas sunsets are the best in the country, and you can't convince me otherwise.
4. You prefer these rolling hills and open skies over mountains.
I almost feel claustrophobic with mountains and tall forests crowding me in.
5. The sound of wind blowing over wheat and grass just relaxes you.
The whoosh of strong winds over the grass or wheat is a sound I'll never forget.
6. You don't mind talking to people while you wait in line.
If you're in a line at the grocery store or visiting a small town, don't be surprised if someone strikes up conversation about where you're from, where you've been, or your family. It's just how things work around here!
7. "Have a good one!" rolls off your tongue with ease.
You'll also hear "no problem" if you're thanked, and other phrases that are just something Kansans say.
8. You enjoy a home cooked meal in a small town restaurant.
If you've never had homemade chicken and noodles before moving here, you are in for a real treat. Nothing tastes more like home.
9. You're not very afraid of tornadoes.
We all know the dangers of tornadoes, but between the storm chasers and those of us who always seem to avoid them, most aren't too scary. As long as they stay out away from town, that is.
10. Sudden weather changes don't bother you either.
Snow in April? Highs of 90 in November? Those are just normal times of year for Kansans. Don't let the weather catch you unprepared.
11. You've got a healthy love for the outdoors.
Caves, rolling hills, rock formations, and more are scattered throughout Kansas, so pick an adventure and just go!
12. You like (or are starting to like) our local sports teams.
Whether you like football, basketball, baseball, or even hockey, you'll find that our local teams are easy to love and plenty exciting.
13. The beautiful scenery and the people who live here make you feel right at home.
Kansas is just a wonderful place that really has something for everyone. Once you're here, you'll be just like family.
If you’ve already fallen in love with the state and want to stay,
here’s our list of places that every new Kansan should check off their bucket list.