Kansas February 28, 2017
9 Things Kansans Do That Seem Insane To Everyone Else
Kansans are a good chunk of the ‘heartland’, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have our own brand of crazy. We’re very fun, but also a little insane sometimes. Can you guess some of the things that would make an outsider say “Wait, what?”
1. Start a conversation with a stranger.
I've had so many conversations with people I'd just met, and will never see again. Haven't you?
2. Help you change a tire, jump your car, or check your engine.
Unless you're not too social, chances are you're helping or at least rolling by slowly to make sure they're alright.
3. Yell "ROCK CHALK" from across the way.
It's probably only for those who wear the colors, but I've heard plenty of people just shout it across a store after a glance at a jayhawk.
4. Tailgate all day. Literally hours.
Going to a sports event? Better get there that morning!
5. Chase tornadoes.
Chances are, we're not scaredy-cats about these things. Usually they're nothing, anyways.
6. Drive down the middle of the road.
If no one's there, why not? Especially if it rained, and washed out the sides.
7. Keep a whole freezer full of just meat.
Maybe they think you're nuts for buying beef by the half-cow, or filling it with a whole deer. I think it's wise to stock up in case of emergency!
8. Bring this to a potluck. (It's orange jello, carrots, and pineapple.)
I've heard it called Sunshine Salad but I don't think it brings to mind sunshine. It's another Kansas quirk I'll pass on.
9. Know at least one person with a snow plow or at least a truck shovel.
You'll need it in the winter, and they'll be waiting for either a free hot meal or some cash.
We don’t think these things are that crazy, but to people from other states, we just might be a little off our rockers. There are
some things we refuse to do, though.