Kansas August 17, 2018
13 Telltale Signs That You Were Always Meant To Be A Kansan
For some Kansans, we feel most at home in open areas with plenty of sky and wind. Those of us who feel at home only in Kansas will understand how it truly feels to be Kansan down to your bones. Do you have all of these signs of being a Kansan to your core?
1. It doesn't feel right unless the wind is blowing.
When the winds are still, it just doesn't feel like Kansas anymore. Even a small breeze is needed to keep things flowing along.
2. Endless hills and fields of gold are the most beautiful thing you can see.
Endless fields of farmland might sound boring to you, but we love looking endlessly into the horizon.
3. Well, except for one of our sunsets. No matter how many you've seen.
Every Kansas sunset seems to be better than the last. There's always the urge to photograph every night, just to make sure we aren't seeing things.
4. The wind rushing through wheat is the most soothing sound you'll ever hear.
It's like rain, but it's only wind. You can't find this sound just anywhere, because you'll need a swift Kansas wind and fields galore.
5. You like rooting for weird sports characters.
It doesn't matter if you like the weirdly colored cat, the oddly shaped bird, or the wheat bundle that can talk. Either way, you'll fit right in!
6. You think the smell of cow trailers isn't
They drive by on the highway and you smell them, but it is really worse than the county fair?
7. Salivating when you smell bierocks cooking.
Bierocks have a specific smell, and every time you smell them, you'll follow it until you find the source. They're irresistible!
8. Being surrounded by mountains or tall trees makes you a little claustrophobic.
For some reason, we've grown used to wide open skies so much that traveling to less-open areas gives us a little bout of claustrophobia.
9. Saying things like "have a good one" or adding an "s" onto places like Aldi or JC Penney.
It's just something we've picked up over the years, and we'll never grow out of it.
10. You find yourself chatting with people to politely pass the time.
Whether you're in line at the checkout or you're just waiting for the bus, a Kansas will most likely be fine with making small talk the whole time you wait. Maybe you have a common friend!
11. Tornado sirens or tornadoes mean a fantastic photo opportunity.
Even if you don't want to be out chasing the storm, you probably know you have nothing to fear when you hear the sirens testing. It's a good way to spot someone that's not from Kansas — they'll start looking around!
12. You're okay with a little state rivalry.
You might even encourage it! Whether it's Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma, or Missouri, we'll always find someone to beef with.
13. You're a little weird — but in a good way.
If you live in Lucas and suddenly want to start making odd sculptures and mosaics, you'll fit right in. However, every part of Kansas is a little weird, and we like it that way.
If you love Kansas as much as we think you do, you’ll love embarking on
these 11 Kansas adventures through nature. What better way to spend a Kansas day?