Kansas January 05, 2018
11 Shenanigans Every Kansan Has Gotten Into At Least Once
When Kansans are young, we get into a lot of shenanigans. At least the many of us who live in smaller towns or leave the city for a while, that is. I’m not talking about the more harmful ones like property damage or something similar. These shenanigans are created in the minds of Kansans all over that just want to have fun.
1. Laying on someone else's hay bales to watch the stars.
It might get you a slap on the wrist, but you're just doing it to hang out with friends. Plus, it's a lot more comfortable than sitting in a cold truck bed!
2. Spending your free time cruising along country roads.
Many of these might be for small towns, but I think city folk should give it a try every once in a while. As long as they watch their corners!
3. Sneaking beer to the lake despite the signs.
As long as you're of age, this one is no big deal. Well, if you keep your cans and bottles away from the water, that is. Keep the lake safe or no one will enjoy it!
4. Or into a football game.
This one's a little harder, but we're sure it's not impossible. Why not enjoy a beer with your game as long as no one else sees it?
5. If you don't have a tube for the lake, you'll make do with what's around.
I've seen kids using cookie sheets, blow-up mattresses, and anything else they might have threw together in woodshop.
6. Sneaking into the state fair without paying the entrance fee.
It used to be easier back in the day, but maybe we can just sneak into the local fairs instead?
7. Hunting without a license on a friend's property.
This is really common, but I wouldn't go telling everyone you don't have a license to hunt. Sometimes we just forget, right?
8. You might've wrecked a 4-wheeler having too much fun.
Even if you didn't wreck it, they're really easy to flip if you've never been on one before. Bonus points if you find bricks in a field that knock you over! Wear a helmet, kids.
9. Or even crawled through the town's storm drain. Grab your skateboard!
This one might depend on the size of your town's storm drains, but I used to crouch through ours pretty often. Well, when it wasn't rainy, anyways.
10. Painting funny things on your friends with sunscreen while they're unaware is always fun.
Sometimes it's a smiley face, but usually it's words (or worse). Let's just hope it's a smiley face!
11. We might get caught speeding on the highway just because we're alone.
If we can't see anyone for miles, and we haven't gone past any cars, we might speed a little. Of course, this isn't just common when you're young, either, but that's probably when we learned it.
Feel free to comment and share the shenanigans you and your friends got up to when you were kids in Kansas. For anyone who has just moved in or might not explore much, you can get to know Kansas best by
what we love to eat.