Kansas November 07, 2015
14 Things People ALWAYS Ask When They Know You’re From Kansas
Tell the truth: When you tell someone that you’re from Kansas, how long is it before they make a Wizard of Oz reference? Or apologize to you for coming from such a “boring” state? Not very long, right? If you’re a Kansan, you’ve more than likely been asked:
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. "Are you a farmer?"
Believe it or not, not everyone who lives in Kansas is a farmer...but if you do happen to meet one, thank them for feeding you, your family and your friends!
2. "Doesn't Kansas get a lot of tornadoes?
Yes; literally EVERY SINGLE day Kansas has another tornado...it's quite incredible that I'm even here to tell the tale!
3. "Rock Chalk Jayhawk? What does that even mean?"
I'm glad you asked! According to KU's website, "Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus."
4. And what is a Jawhawk?
Get out! Get out NOW!
5. "Isn't Kansas really flat and ugly?"
Yeah, it's pretty bad...
6. "Don't you get bored?"
I don't know about you all, but I sit around and literally twiddle my thumbs all day because there is NOTHING to do!
7. "Why are you making such an obscene hand gesture?!"
Because you don't want to go to war with the Shockers!
8. "Do you have a feeling you aren't in Kansas anymore?"
Do you have a feeling that you're going to get punched in the face very soon?
9. "What is the twinkling, glittery substance in the sky?"
Those are called stars--Kansas is home to some of the clearest, most pristine skies that are perfect for stargazing.
10. "Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a giant Van Gogh in the distance?"
Your eyes are not playing tricks; that is indeed a 24 x 32 Van Gogh reproduction (located in Goodland). Kansas is home to other quirky roadside attractions such as the Garden of Eden, giant Coca Cola can and Subterra Castle.
11. "Are people here always this nice?
Actually, yes. Kansans are some of the nicest, most down-home, salt-of-the-earth people you will ever have the pleasure to know.
12. "Isn't Kansas essentially just a giant field with no major cities?"
Actually, Kansas is home to several cities with a population well above 100K.
13. "Wait... I thought Kansas City was in Missouri."
It is (for the most part)...but Kansas has Wichita, Overland Park, Topeka and several other larger cities.
14. "Why do Kansans always seem so happy?"
Because we live in the greatest state ever, that's why!
Which questions are you most often asked?