Kansas October 25, 2018
13 Different Ways Kansas Will Surprise You No Matter How Long You’ve Lived Here
Kansas is surprisingly beautiful, and sometimes it’s not always what it seems. Kansas will surprise you from time to time, and they’re always the best surprises. Check out what living in Kansas could bring to our lives at any turn. Kansas is a beautiful and changing state, and we’re here to see where it surprises us next.
1. When you turn and realize what the sky was hiding while you weren't looking.
On long drives or while you're occupied, you might not notice all the colors brightening at sunset. Then, it becomes a great way to end the day.
2. When snow decides to happen in October.
This might seem rare, but odd snow does happen semi often.
3. Or when it happens in May.
Though to be honest, I think we'd all rather it happened in the fall.
4. When you feel like you're making friends with people you've just met.
Whether you're in line at the grocery store or waiting somewhere, you'll find that Kansans usually love small talk about your day, the weather, or where you're from.
5. When you realize someone knows of you without having met you.
These conversations often start with "what's your last name? Your father's name? Oh, I know your relative, they went to high school with me" and then it goes on from there.
6. When you find out our small town restaurants don't serve small flavors.
Boy, does this photo make me want to create a chicken fried steak trail road trip. I can almost taste it.
7. When you feel rain on a perfectly sunny day.
The day will be lightly cloudy but still bright, and then suddenly you're being rained on from seemingly nowhere. Just a little, though. Sunshowers are one of those little blessings Kansas loves.
8. When the wind rushes over the grain and makes that perfect whooshing sound.
I could fall asleep listening to the moving wind over the fields.
9. When you get stuck behind farm equipment on a road, but only when you're in a rush.
Ultimately you know they can't help it, but it does always seem to land on those days when you need to hurry.
10. When you realize everyone likes to wave to each other while driving.
Some call it a farmer's wave, but visit any small town in Kansas and you'll see it at least once or twice. Make sure to wave back!
11. When someone honks at you just to say hello.
If you've got friends in your town, you'll hear a quick honk to get your attention before you notice your friend waving at you (or making some silly face) just to say hello.
12. When you discover amazing features you've never noticed.
I can't imagine what it would be like to not know about all the wonders around Kansas.
13. When you realize this will always be your home.
It's somewhere that feels just like home, even if you're from somewhere else. Once you're here, you're basically family.
When you like surprises a little more odd, you’ll find that
these wacky attractions are the best place to start.