Kansas Meet The Locals June 07, 2017
11 Things That Will Confuse A Kansan Every Time
Trying to convince a Kansan not to follow a police car with sirens is pretty hard, but some of these things confuse Kansans just as much as the idea of feeling safe next to an ocean. There’s a lot we aren’t used to, and you can tell when you get that polite, yet confused look on someone’s face. You’ll see what I mean.
1. Calling these "trainers" or saying you don't understand us when we say "tennis shoes."
It makes sense, really. When you wear boots or flip flops for everything, you're bound to start classifying all of another type of shoe as the same thing.
2. When someone doesn't stop to help someone who needs it.
We'd rather you get off the roads, because we don't want to see you hurt.
3. Hearing the phrase, "I've never been to the lake before."
4. Learning that a fellow Kansan doesn't eat fried foods.
I understand maybe not liking fried cheesecake or other fair time oddities, but you don't like fried pickles? Mozzarella sticks? Chicken?!
5. Getting told you need to find shelter for a tornado.
It always brings up that storm chaser deep within all of us, doesn't it?
6. When someone mispronounces a common Kansas town name.
Believe it or not, I've heard someone mispronounce both Salina and McPherson.
7. "Topeka and Lawrence aren't really big cities"
Considering we have towns with only a few houses, a church, and a post office, these cities are pretty big in comparison.
8. When someone you know cheers for a non-local team.
What do you mean, you like the Yankees? Are you joking?
9. When you don't say "fine, you" in response to "How are you today?"
It confuses Kansans, because we're polite to a point, but we generally don't want to actually hear about your day.
10. When someone offers you a coke, but it's not Coke-a-cola.
Why would you call it a Coke if it was another brand/flavor?
And Finally... 11. Turn signal usage.
For some reason, Kansans get confused about when they should use these. I don't know how many drivers I've seen who just refuse to signal. Hint: when you're going to turn, use it.
For more funny things you’ll only find here in the Sunflower State, check out
these 13 awkward moments you might have here, too.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.