The Story Behind This Desolate Kansas Ghost Town Is Beyond Eerie
If you have yet to figure it out, we here at Only in Kansas love a good ghost town. Whether they seem quiet and serene or just plain dark and eerie, there is something fascinating about these abandoned places. Did you know that there are more than 6,000 ghost towns in Kansas? Most of them are long, long gone, without so much as a brick remaining, but others are in much better shape. One of the dark and eerier ghost towns that comes to mind is that of Elmdale KS, captured here by Flickr user cloudcricket.
Embark on a guided walking tour of Elmdale by YouTuber Rick & Deb’s Awesome Adventures:
Explore even more ghost towns by taking our awesome (and a little eerie) Kansas ghost towns road trip. What will you discover along the way? You never know until you get out and explore!
More to Explore
Things To Do in Elmdale, Kansas
- What are some things to do in Elmdale, Kansas?
Admittedly, Elmdale is a ghost town. There isn’t a whole lot to do here other than explore but if you’re willing to roam a little, there are some delightful attractions nearby the town of Elmdale, KS, like:
- Chase State Fishing Lake – Few things are quite as relaxing as a day spent fishing, and Kansas is an amazing state for doing exactly that.
- Chase County Courthouse – If you’re a fan of old-school architecture and local history, pay a visit to the courthouse. It’s much more interesting than you probably think it is, we promise!
- Tallgrass Prairie Nature Preserve – This is Kansas and its beauty untouched. Spanning as far as the eye can see, this stunning prairie is one of very few that remains.
Learn more about the amazing Tallgrass Prairie Nature Preserve.
- What other small towns in Kansas belong on my bucket list?
Obviously, you don’t want your small towns in Kansas list to begin and end with a ghost town, so what are some other adorable small towns in Kansas worth visiting? We suggest you check out:
- Lindsborg – This is “Little Sweden,” but it’s right here in Kansas. Expect awesome boutique shops and friendly faces!
- Greensburg – Following a devastating EF5 tornado that wiped 95 percent of the town off the map in 2007, Greensburg rebuilt bigger and better than ever, and now it’s a hub of modern technology and shops.
- Abilene – The perfect idyllic little town for raising a family or settling down, Abilene is home to lots of museums, shops, restaurants, and more.
- Galena – This small town along old Route 66 was the inspiration for Radiator Springs in Disney-Pixar's film Cars.
Learn more about all of these beautiful small towns in Kansas and then some!
- What are the smallest towns in Kansas?
There are lots of small towns in Kansas that are not ghost towns but are not exactly busy anymore, either. Some of the smallest still-living towns in Kansas are ones like:
- Smolan – Population: 190
- Tyro – Population: 180
- Tipton – Population: 250
- Grenola – Population: 180
Get more information about all these tiny towns in Kansas and a couple extra.