Kansas June 29, 2016
13 Things Everyone Remembers About Kansas In The 1990s
The 1990s were a changing time for the world and the Sunflower State was no exception. From deadly storms to sporting triumphs to horrific tragedies, Kansas saw a little bit of it all. It’s time now to take a look back at 13 of these things that everyone remembers about Kansas in the 1990s:
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. In the 1990s, the average cost of a home in Kansas was $66,700...
2. ...and the national average for gas was a mere $1.20 (1997).
3. 1990: The towns of Wichita and Hesston are hit by a deadly F5 tornado during a Central United States tornado outbreak.
4. 1991: Joan Finney is elected the first woman governor of Kansas.
5. An F5 tornado overtakes the Andover area and becomes known as one of the "most-filmed F5 tornadoes of all time."
6. 1993: Above average rains cause the flooding of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, resulting in billions of dollars in damages, the loss of 32 lives (multi-state), and the displacement of numerous homes and businesses.
7. 1994: The Kansas City Chiefs make it to AFC Championship Game, but lose to Buffalo...
8. ...and the Royals may have won first place in their division had it not been for the 1994 player's strike.
9. 1995: The nation is shaken to its core after 168 people are killed during a bombing at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City.
It was later found that Kansas resident Terry Nichols and co-conspirator Timothy McVeigh built and assembled the bombs at both Nichols home in Herington as well as a nearby lake.
10. 1996: Kansas native and well-known conservative politician Bob Dole announces his run for President of the United States.
11. Both the University of Kansas and Kansas State University join the Big 12, with the Wildcats playing in the first-ever sports event presented by the conference.
12. Miss Kansas, Tara Dawn Holland, is crowned Miss America 1997.
13. 1999: A Midwest tornado outbreak kills 6 and damages 150 homes and 27 businesses in the Wichita and Haysville area.
Do you remember all of these headlines? Then you may enjoy
12 Things You’ll Remember If You Grew Up In The 80s In Kansas!