Iowa November 25, 2015
by Michaela Kendall 13 People In Iowa Did Before The Internet Took Over Our Lives
There truly can be too much of a good thing. In today’s age of instant information and constant communication, we can forget what it’s like to
really like to interact with other people, and live our lives without being glued to a screen. It’s been a while, but for those who remember, here are 13 things people in Iowa did before the internet took over our lives:
1. We sat out on the front porch and talked.
Before we had our faces glued to some screen or another, we sat out on the porch and enjoyed the fresh air and good company.
2. We had barbecues and block parties with the neighborhood.
And we didn't just stare at our phones the entire time.
3. We actually met up with friends in person.
We didn't just send them a text every once in a while.
4. We had family game nights.
Nothing beats the quality time spent kicking eachother's butts at classic board games.
5. When we wanted to rent a movie, we actually had to get in the car and drive somewhere.
With the internet, you don't even have to get up off the couch to rent a movie.
6. Better yet, we would go to a drive-in theater.
This is an experience that so many young people will never get to have.
7. And we would read real books, not just an e-book on a screen.
Nowadays, it seems like people only want to read books on their smart phone or tablet - where's the fun in that?
8. We actually went to libraries.
The younger generation will never know the struggle of having to go to a library to look up the answer to a question you and your friends had been arguing about - now they can Google it and have an answer in 2.5 seconds.
9. And when we wanted to share a photo with someone, we pulled out the scrapbook.
Back in the day, we didn't waste time taking photos of our food and sticking them in a photo album, so why do we do it on the internet?!
10. We waited in line without staring at a screen the entire time.
Sometimes we would read a magazine, or talk to the person next to us, or even just get lost in our thoughts for a while.
11. And when we wanted to debate something, we did it civilly, and in person.
The dark side of the internet is the cyberbullying and internet "trolls" who spend their time putting other people down on the internet. People are much meaner to eachother now that they can hide behind the protective wall of the internet.
12. We left the work at work.
It used to be that when you left for the day, you didn't have to worry about work until you went back the next morning. With the internet, your boss can (and will) send you an email at 9 p.m asking you to finish up an urgent project.
13. And we got outside a lot more.
We used to get out more, and actually talk to people. Nowadays, we just sit inside with our faces glued to a screen.
And even though life may have been simpler before the internet, it has also brought us some pretty great things – like Only in Iowa!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.