Iowa State Pride April 26, 2017
Iowans Repeatedly Make These 11 Colossal Mistakes
Yes, we tend to use too much ranch dressing, we think tapping the brakes at stop signs is the same as stopping, and we put marshmallows in salads.
But we are loveable! Read on for more things Iowans do that pretty much amount to colossal mistakes.
1. We use license plates like sticker books from the '80s.
Here's how the DOT would like us to place registration stickers on Iowa license plates: "For a large Iowa Standard License plate, place the Registration Renewal Sticker in the bottom, left corner of the rear license plate. If there is a sticker already on the license plate from a previous renewal, place the new sticker on top of the previous year's sticker."
2. We buy thick-skinned pale pink tomatoes in chain stores during the month of August.
Check out the farmers market for the most gorgeous, delicious, incredible home-grown tomatoes in the world. Late summer in Iowa is a tomato party.
3. We miss small town festivals like Hobo Days in Britt. Iowa has many fun and interesting small town festivals. Why don't we go to more of them?
The dates for 2017 aren't firm, yet. Pay attention, though. You risk missing the annual Toilet Bowl Races, yet again.
4. We skip the Iowa State Fair.
Yes, it's crowded and hot. But the food! The butter cow! The shows! Just go. It's an Iowa tradition.
5. We fear no blizzard.
It's all fun and games until you need a team of experts to rescue you.
6. We eat at chain restaurants instead of cool local joints.
The quality of local restaurants in Iowa has never been better, and fast food prices have never been higher.
7. We spend our drive-time leisurely hanging out in the left lane.
Technically, that lane is for passing, only. Just FYI.
8. Some of us (not you, of course) text while we drive.
As of July 1, texting while driving is a primary offense that carries a fine. Also, it's a dumb thing to do. Under this new law, people who kill someone while texting and driving can also be charged with a Class C felony, and spend 10 years in prison. Just put the phone down, and drive.
9. We listen to way too much boring radio music.
Iowa has live music everywhere, it seems. Even tiny small-town breweries play host to amazing local musical acts. Look around a bit and enjoy some home-town tunes.
10. We buy eggs in the grocery store.
Backyard chickens are one of the fastest growing trends among hobbies, today. If you have a neighbor with chickens, make friends with them. If they share their amazing eggs, it'll open up a whole new world of eggy culinary delights.
11. We treat Milk Weed like a weed.
Common Milkweed is an important part of Iowa's ecosystem. If you are lucky enough to have it growing on your property, and you leave it alone, you are providing an important habitat for the beautiful Monarch butterflies.
Some of these offenses are clearly more serious than others. What amazingly giant mistakes do you think Iowans continually make? Let us know in the comments.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.