The Twinkliest Town In Iowa Will Make Your Holiday Season Merry And Bright
Christmastime in Iowa is magical. Our small towns and large cities light up for the holiday season. We put up enormous trees covered in lights, our Main Street communities rally to boost their small businesses, and the holidays are a time to spend with your family and closest friends. If you can’t get enough of the holiday spirit, plan a trip out to enjoy Christmas in Oskaloosa, Iowa, where thousands of lights turn this little city into the twinkliest town in the state. Welcome to one of the best Christmas towns in Iowa.
Check out the lovely Christmas Parade in Oskaloosa:
The lights turn on at dark (around 4 p.m.) and rest for the night at 10:30, each night, until early January. Visit the town for a great dinner at one of the Town Square restaurants, or to get your holiday shopping done! You’ll have a great time visiting this holiday winter wonderland and enjoying Christmas in Oskaloosa.
If you’re looking for something a little closer to home, read our list of the best holiday Main Streets in Iowa and plan a trip to the one nearest you!
More to Explore
Holiday Festivities in Iowa
What are the most festive Christmas towns in Iowa?
The most festive Christmas towns in Iowa include:
- Oskaloosa. The town square is lit up with festive lights each year while shops provide quaint crafts and sweet holiday treats.
- Cedar Falls. Every year, this town hosts Holiday Hoopla where Santa greets everyone and then goes to Santa’s Workshop.
- Winterset. Some of the famous Madison County covered bridges are found here and the blanket of snow it receives each year makes it a winter wonderland.
- Wyoming. This is a tiny town with a population of only 500 residents, yet it is one of the best Christmas towns in Iowa with 40 lit-up trees and decorations all over.
Learn more about the most festive Christmas towns in Iowa.
What are the most dazzling Christmas light displays in Iowa?
The most dazzling Christmas light displays in Iowa include:
- Symphony of Lights in Clinton. With over 40 displays with half a million lights, this display runs from Thanksgiving until December 30.
- Amana. This little town lights up over 50 Christmas trees with twinkling lights that will put anyone into the holiday spirit.
- Baird’s Christmas Lights in Red Oak. Started by local Jack Baird about 40 years ago, this magnificent light display now spans over a quarter mile.
- Anamosa. Anamosa’s Main Street goes all out when decorating for the Christmas season with all kinds of lights and ornaments.
Find out more about the most dazzling Christmas light displays in Iowa.
What are the best holiday festivals in Iowa?
The best holiday festivals in Iowa include:
- Frostbite Olympics in Algona. This wintery event includes a chili cook-off, ATV races, an Ice-fishing derby, snowmobile rides, and more.
- Coralville Winterfest. You’ll find ice carving, trolley rides, indoor snowball fights, and get to sample Wassail at this wonderful event.
- Ice Fest in Dubuque. Ice sculptures, ice harvesting, winter crafts, and eagle watching are just some of the intriguing things to do at this annual event.
Discover more about the best holiday festivals in Iowa.