The Sweetest Road Trip in Iowa Takes You To 7 Old School Chocolate Shops
Looking for a reason to get out of the house? Why not treat yourself to an indulgent road trip for some Iowa chocolate, where you’ll get to taste the sweetest treats in the whole state? Head across the middle of the Hawkeye State to track down the best chocolate shops in Iowa!
What’s your favorite of these chocolate shops in Iowa? Let us know in the comments! Check out this chocolate museum if you want to learn all about Iowa chocolate.
More to Explore
The Best Treats In Iowa
What are the best candy shops in Iowa?
The best candy shops in Iowa include:
- Goodies Handmade Candies. This family-run candy shop in Spirit Lake uses only fresh ingredients with no preservatives.
- Chocolate Storybook. Located in West Des Moines, this shop uses no additives and only uses fresh cream and butter, real chocolate, and fresh fruits.
- The Chocolate Haus. This is the place for German chocolate that’s made with a 100-year-old recipe.
- Palmer’s Olde Tyme Candy Shoppe. Palmer’s makes old-fashioned candies using traditional methods.
Find out more about the best candy shops in Iowa.
What are the most iconic foods in Iowa?
The most iconic foods in Iowa include:
- Maid Rite. This is a loose-meat sandwich that originated in Iowa and is beloved by people all over the state.
- Taco Pizza. Iowans top a pizza crust with taco sauce, lettuce, tomato, and tortilla chips to make taco pizzas.
- Puppy Chow. Known in many places as Muddy Buddies, this is a confection of Chex cereal, chocolate, and powdered sugar.
- Morel Mushroom. Locals love to make breaded, deep-fried morel mushrooms and you can even find them in restaurants.
Learn more about the most iconic foods in Iowa.
What are the best bucket list foods in Iowa?
The best bucket list foods in Iowa include:
- Ham Balls. Ham and ground beef are mixed in with graham crackers and smothered in a tomato and brown sugar sauce.
- Dutch Letters. These are thick pasties usually in the shape of the letter “S” for “Sinterklaas” as a holiday treat.
- Scotcharoos. This sweet treat is made of rice or corn cereal mixed with butterscotch and topped with chocolate.
- Breakfast Pizza. This is pizza with eggs, sausage, and bell peppers and is a popular dish at Casey’s.
Discover more about the best bucket list foods in Iowa.