Iowa May 26, 2017
10 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In Iowa
With the exception of a few people who are impervious to the prevailing culture, I think you’ll agree that Iowans share a few experiences while growing up here that are somewhat unique.
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. You know how to drive in this.
It doesn't concern you too greatly, because you also know when to just stay home and wait out the storm.
2. You know that you are just a short drive away from the capital and all it has to offer.
If you grew up in Iowa, 4-5 hours is really not that much time to spend in the car. Road trip!
3. You know how to cook this about seventeen different ways.
And you have a personal favorite.
4. Political arguments and fights about whether Iowa will beat Iowa State this year are common.
If you grew up here, you engage in both with unbridled passion.
5. You know that this isn't fried chicken.
Broasted chicken is an entirely different (and delicious) thing.
6. You don't worry too much when people point out that you grew up in the potato state.
It's confusing to outsiders....all of those unwieldy vowels.
7. You probably have a bit of an off-beat sense of humor.
8. Strange town names don't phase you.
Witty signs identifying towns are common, here.
8. You know why we live where the air hurts our faces.
We don't have scorpions, flying cockroaches, or rattle snakes. Bring on winter!
9. You get that people from other states think this is a correct representation of your back yard.
While there are more pigs than people here, not everyone has their own farm. This can be difficult for people from other states to understand, but luckily, Iowans are nice.
10. If you've been traveling, this sign is a comfort.
Iowans are notorious complainers. There was a musical about it, in fact. "You really ought to give Iowa
Moines, Davenport, Marshalltown,
Mason City, Keokuk, Ames,
Ought to give Iowa a try!" -The Music Man, 1957
What side effects have you experienced from growing up in this great state?