Iowa September 28, 2017
10 Unwritten Rules Every Iowan Lives By ‘Til Death
Every state and region of the US has its own customs and unwritten rules. Iowa is no exception. Here are just a few things that many Iowas consider important.
1. The best adventures happen right here in our home state.
You could vacation frequently and far away, but there’s so much to do here in Iowa, it can be hard to get away. If you feel the need for speed, try Sky Tours Zipline in Dubuque.
2. There are two kinds of sandwiches.
One is a Maid Rite. The other is a tenderloin.
3. People who "aren’t from here" often wonder why everyone walks around that famous giant zodiac embedded in the tile of the Memorial Union on the Iowa State Campus.
Iowans know. Step on the zodiac and you’ll flunk your next test.
4. We consider arguing a sport.
Don’t take offense; we like to debate. Weather? Sports? Politics? Bring it on.
5. We help the lost out-of-towners when their GPS leads them astray.
Not all Iowa destinations register well on electronic maps. That’s OK; we are here to help.
6. Fall is for football.
Even if you don’t care about sports, tailgating is fun.
7. New babies, surgery, or a death in the family means casserole.
You can return the dish when you are finished with it; last name of the owner is written on the bottom.
8. There’s always time for coffee. There’s probably also time for a slice of pie.
Iowans like to socialize. There’s almost always something to drink and a bit of dessert involved.
9. First snow = Much excitement!
We haven’t had much of the white stuff in a few years, but when it snows enough to get a real "snow day" kids all over the state are happy.
10. Iowa gardeners compulsively share.
We’ll dig up our iris, hostas, and lilacs to share a bit of new growth with a friend or neighbor. If we grow vegetables, half the fun is giving the excess produce to pretty much anyone who will take it.
What other unwritten rules do we live by here in Iowa?
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.