There’s more than enough to keep an adrenaline junkie happy here in Iowa. Here are 10 thrilling things you’ll want to do right away that aren’t for the faint of heart.
1. Whitewater Park: Charles City Whitewater, 700 Riverside Dr., Charles City
This is the perfect place for river enthusiasts to enjoy the Cedar River right in heart of downtown Charles City. Paddleboarding, kayaking, canoeing, tubing, and as much water adventure as you can handle await. There's no charge to use this park and it's accessible year round.
2. Rock Climbing: Pictured Rocks is Located 5 miles southeast of Monticello on 190th Street just past Camp Courageous.
This is a busy place during the best climbing weather in spring and fall. The routes get a lot of traffic, so they are well cared for. Climbing enthusiasts from all over Iowa say Pictured Rocks is one of the best climbing areas in Iowa.
3. Waterslides: Lost Island, 2225 E. Shaulis Road, Waterloo
The waterpark is a lot of fun, but this waterslide is a real thrill. You'll free fall at 28 feet per second for the ride of your life.
4. Ziplining: Sky Tours Zipline, 11764 John F Kennedy Rd, Dubuque
This zipline tour is much more in-depth than a typical zipline. It's actually a two-hour tour of an abandoned Victorian amusement park that you'll get to see from above. A guide takes guests through 9 ziplines.
5. Skydiving: The Des Moines Skydivers
Winterset-Madison County Airport
3405 N 8th St, Winterset
Longer free-falls than any other drop zone in Iowa, two kinds of airplanes, and a tandem skydive option make this the premier skydiving company in the state. It's on your bucket list. Just go for it.
6. Roller Coasters: Adventureland, 3200 Adventureland Dr, Altoona
Adventureland has all the thrills you could possibly want. The Outlaw has a g-force of 3.2. The Dragon is Iowa's only upsidedown double looped coaster and has over 2,600 feet of track. The Monster is the newest roller coaster, here. It's also the first Infinity Coaster in the U.S.
7. ATV, Off-Road, and OHV Parks: Gypsum City OHV Park, southeast of Fort Dodge.
More than 15 miles of trails that run through native prairie vegetation and a tangle of trees, a 1½ mile long motocross course, parking area, safety training area, and even a youth riding area, make this 300-acre ATV park a favorite among people who love the thrill of all types of off-roading.
8. Hiking: Backbone State Park,1347 129th St., Dundee
Backbone has some of the most amazing scenery you can see on foot in Iowa. It offers over 21 miles of hiking and multi-use trails. Hike to one of the highest points in northeast Iowa; the "Devil's Backbone."
9. Parasailing: Extreme Water Sports, 37 Lake Street, Arnolds Park
Ready to fly high above Lake Okoboji? Parasailing is the ultimate adventure. You'll fly 600 feet in the air, and there's no limit for ability level or age.
10. Hot Air Balloon Ride: For reservations, call 815-777-2747
Book a balloon ride any morning or evening (weather permitting) during the 2017 National Balloon Classic July 28 through Augus 5 in Indianola. You'll have to plan ahead for this one, since spots fill quickly.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.