Indianapolis December 26, 2017
10 Ways Indianapolis Has Received Recognition In 2017
We already know our humble city is a great place to call home, but in 2017, Indy gained a lot of national attention as well. From restaurants and tourist destinations to general overall greatness, here are 10 ways Indianapolis made national headlines in 2017.
1. The Indianapolis Zoo ranked in the U.S. Top 10.
The Indy Zoo is always gaining national attention, and this year Conde Nast Traveler placed the Indy Zoo in its top 10 zoos. Why? It's the only park in the country that is a certified zoo, aquarium, and zoological garden, which is pretty awesome!
2. Two cities north of Indy were ranked the best places to live in the country.
Both Fishers and Carmel, located just north of the city, were ranked as the best places to live in the country by different publications. Of course, one of the main appeals for both was the proximity to the Circle City.
3. Indy topped lists of most affordable places to live.
When it comes to affordable cities to live in, Indy was dubbed number 12 on a list of U.S. cities. We're also proud of another Indiana town topped the list; Fort Wayne clocked in at the number one spot!
4. Indianapolis was named one of the hottest food towns in America.
While it's no surprise to city residents, it's about time Indy was recognized for our incredible selection of top-notch, innovative restaurants!
5. The Indianapolis International Airport was rated the best in North America.
While it's definitely one of the smaller metropolitan airports, the Indy airport is so easy to get in and out of, it's no wonder it was ranked highly in not only the country, but the whole continent.
6. Indy beat out New York and Los Angeles as one of the best cities to live in.
While we didn't top the list, it was interesting to learn that Indy beat out much larger, more famous cities, including NYC, LA, and Chicago. It must be our cool downtown vibe and small town atmosphere.
7. Indy made top tourist destination headlines.
A CNN article urged tourists to visit some of the hottest spots in Indy, noting our cool city districts and farm-to-table restaurants as top reasons.
8. The city government was ranked as the top in the country.
Our state's overall credit rating and budget transparency helped us earn this coveted number one spot.
9. Top Indianapolis chefs made headlines.
Jonathan Brooks and Abbi Merriss were James Beard Semifinalists for restaurants Milktooth and Bluebeard, while Martha Hoover, founder of Cafe Patachou, also made the list.
10. Indy was voted one of the top places to work.
Indianapolis employers scored high on Glassdoor's yearly rankings, making Indy one of the best places to work and advance in the country.
Congrats Indianapolis! We knew our city could do it! Here’s to an even better 2018!
For more ways Indianapolis is so great, check out
10 reasons why Indy is the most underrated city in the country.