A 6-Year-Old Boy Was Swallowed By A Dune In Indiana And Why It Happened Is Intriguing
If you haven’t heard this story, get ready for a strange roller coaster ride. It’s the story of a once-in-a-lifetime freak occurrence that befell a family when their 6-year-old was swallowed by a dune at Indiana Dunes National Park. At first, it was a mystery: why had this happened? More importantly, how did this happen? Eventually, the answer would be found – and it wasn’t the answer anyone was expecting.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here: onlyinyourstate.com/nominate
Park officials made the decision to close Mt. Baldy to the public – there are many more tree-bored holes in ancient dunes beneath its surface, and what happened to Nathan could happen again if folks were able to walk about the dune freely like they were able to before. Today, people can still visit Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, but they can no longer clamber up the largest dune in the park. It’s impossible to forget the time that a six-year-old boy was swallowed by a dune in Indiana, but it was a lesson well-learned with a happy ending as well (thank goodness).
Tori Jane Ostberg plays with tornadoes for fun. When she's not out chasing the biggest and baddest storms mama nature has to offer, she can usually be found writing something, somewhere, or exploring the desert southwest with her camera.
Thank you! You'll receive your first newsletter soon!