Indiana February 16, 2017
21 Ways Indiana Is America’s Black Sheep… And We Love It That Way
Indiana is a unique state, to say the least. We might have some interesting quirks, but we’re definitely a state full of kind people and a lot of pride. But are we America’s black sheep? Here are 21 reasons why we just might be…
1. We're Hoosiers not Indianans...
You might not understand why we're called that (alright, some of us might not get it either), but that's what we are!
2. We have 4 seasons....almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction season
And road construction season gets pretty humid!
3. We have unusual traffic jams
Getting stuck behind one of these is always an acceptable reason for being late.
4. We've all played hide and seek in a few cornfields
It's extreme hide and seek because getting lost in a cornfield is so easy.
5. We give directions in minutes, not miles
Honestly, it's a more accurate way to get somewhere.
6. We know how to create awesome outdoor games
Forget horseshoes or throwing frisbees - cornhole is the ultimate game that anyone can enjoy.
7. We believe everything is better deep fried
Deep fried oreos, deep fried cheese, deep fried girl scout cookies, deep fried meatballs....
8. ...even butter
It might sound weird, but give it a try!
9. We can't agree on whether this is chili
Beef, beans, cheese, and sour cream.
10. or if this is chili...
Some call it chili mac, but to many this is the only accepable chili.
11. We can't agree on whether this is called soda...
12. ...or pop
Which do you call it?
13. The only acceptable tenderloin is made of breaded pork
You might not agree, but we know we're right.
14. Euchre is our unofficial passtime
Perfect for holiday parties, lazy Sundays, and gatherings with friends.
15. Our state beach is actually a lake
But to be fair, Lake Michigan is incredible!
16. We don't believe Christmas comes just once a year
In Santa Claus, Indiana, every day is Christmas!
17. We'll apologize if we bump into you
Unlike other states, we don't think there's anything wrong about being nice and friendly.
18. We're strongly divided into fans of Purdue...
19. ...and fans of IU
And no, you can't be fans of both.
20. We can't buy alcohol on Sundays
Which is why we stock up during the week or party hard on Saturdays
21. No matter what you think, we know Indiana is the best
We love our neighbors and are lucky to call this place home.
So if we are the black sheep of the country, we’re absolutely fine with that! For more insight into Hoosier life, check out the
9 things every Hoosier wants the rest of the country to know.