The Abandoned Horace Mann School In Indiana Is One Of The Eeriest Places In America
Gary, Indiana, is an infamous place. Though, like almost anywhere, it does have its small here-and-there elements of charm and nostalgia, for the most part, anyone asked which city in Indiana is the worst will most likely be immediately answered with “Gary.” Even folks from out of state are often aware of just how notorious Gary has become, and for good reason: it was once the murder capital of the United States, and to this day, it still ranks very high on lists of the most dangerous towns in the country. It’s one of the most dangerous cities in Indiana for sure, but there’s an element of dark fascination to it as well. Let’s take a look at one of Gary’s most iconic abandoned structures, Horace Mann High School. If it’s still standing now, it won’t be for long. This abandoned high school in Indiana is easily one of the eeriest places in the Midwest.
We are unable to confirm whether or not the building is still standing at the time of this writing; we have found nothing indicating it’s been razed yet, and the most recent news about the school is in regards to its having been sold. We do know that, as of less than one year ago, Horace Mann High School was still there – what have you heard?
More to Explore
Horace Mann High School
How many abandoned schools in Indiana are in Gary?
Horace Mann High School in Gary Indiana is probably the largest and most notable abandoned school in Indiana, however, there are quite a few more. Over 20 schools have been shuttered and left to rot in Gary Indiana. Here is a list of a few abandoned schools in IN:
- Horace Mann High School
- Lew Wallace High School
- Emerson School for Visual and Performing Arts
- Spaulding Elementary School
- Brunswick Elementary School
Are there any haunted places in IN?
Some of the scariest places in America can be found in Indiana, but are they truly haunted? Here is a list of a few allegedly haunted places in Indiana so you can check them out and see if you believe that is really haunted:
- Elizabethtown Cemetery, near Muncie, IN: This old cemetery from an abandoned town established in 1839 is quite possibly haunted. Professional paranormal investigators have recorded strange sounds at night - ghost sounds - not people sounds.
- Central State Hospital, Indianapolis, IN: Formerly called the Indiana Hospital For The Insane, there are some pretty angry ghosts remaining who didn't care for the inhumane practices and mass graves they were dumped into. Can you blame them?
- Old Blackford County Jail, Hartford City, IN: Of course, an old county jail is haunted, we wouldn't expect anything less. Those that visit this abandoned jailhouse report hearing voices yelling at them to leave as soon as they step foot in the door.
- Hannah House, Indianapolis, IN: This 1800s brick building was used as an Underground Railroad location to help slaves escape to freedom. One night a lamp was knocked over setting fire to the building - all of them perished.