The Surprising Illinois Town That Makes An Excellent Weekend Getaway
What’s not to love about taking a break and soaking in a change of scenery? While heading to a city or a large, popular town is almost always a good time, why not go on an adventure and explore one of the many small towns around Illinois instead? One of these small towns, Lebanon, may not be one you’ve considered visiting (at least not yet) but it’s perfect for a weekend getaway in Illinois. If your interest has been piqued, read on to learn about things to do in Lebanon, Illinois.
If you’ve already been to this charming town, have you been to the places we mentioned? If you have more suggestions for things to do in Lebanon, Illinois, feel free to share your thoughts in the following comments section too.
Check out these places to visit in Illinois if you’d like to also explore some more of The Prairie State.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Things to do in Lebanon, Illinois
What are some of the best small towns in Illinois?
Aside from Lebanon, Illinois, take a look at some more of the best small towns in Illinois.
- Galena: Along with being an ideal day-trip destination from Chicago, you'll feel like you've been transported to another world as you stroll along cobblestone streets surrounded by historic buildings.
- Greenville: You'll get to enjoy a slower pace of life when you visit this charming small town known for its farming community and local art.
- Nauvoo: About 1,000 residents live in this quaint town with a deep religious history.
- Woodstock: This picturesque small town with a popular town square has been the backdrop for the movie Groundhog Day.
What are some popular weekend getaways in Illinois?
In addition to Lebanon, IL, here are some more popular weekend getaways in The Prairie State:
- Sycamore: Although it's close to Chicago, you'll get to enjoy a charming downtown, beautifully lined streets, and stunning architecture when you head here for the weekend.
- Oak Park: This charming town is ideal if you'd like to browse the independent shops scattered around the downtown area, grab a bite to eat at a quaint cafe, relax in the main park, or tour one of Frank Lloyd Wright's former homes.
- Algonquin: From parks to a forest preserve, you'll find tons of outdoor activities to do in this small town over a weekend.
Check out these destinations if you're looking for a romantic weekend in Illinois, too!