Idaho September 09, 2017
10 Things You Can Only Brag About If You’re From Idaho
There’s a lot to brag about if you live in Idaho. We’ve got a lot of good things going for us! We contribute a lot of unique things to the world and pretty much all Idahoans agree that America just wouldn’t be the same without Idaho. It’s no secret that Idahoans love being from Idaho, so check out these 10 awesome things you can only brag about if you’re from Idaho!
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. We have the absolute best and most relaxing hot springs.
Idaho has more hot springs than anywhere else in the country. Across the state are hundreds of natural hot springs perfect for taking a peaceful soak tucked away in Idaho's beautiful wilderness.
2. You might just see a raptor flying through the air.
type of raptor. Idaho has the largest concentration of birds of prey in the entire country. We even have attractions such as the
World Center for Birds of Prey
, perfect for learning about and viewing these fantastic flying beasts.
3. We love skiing so much that we pretty much invented it.
Okay, we didn't invent the sport of skiing. However, the world's first ever chairlift appeared in Sun Valley, Idaho in 1936!
4. Obviously, we're the country's leading producer of potatoes. And a lot of other important stuff, too!
Idaho is a top producer in the country of trout, winter peas, lentils, and fresh hops. Without Idaho, the world would be devoid of delicious hoppy beer. That would be quite the shame!
5. You probably wouldn't have a Netflix subscription without Idaho.... or Hulu, or Amazon Prime, or HBO Now, etc.
Because television was invented by a teenage boy named Philo Farnsworth who lived in Rigby, Idaho at the time. You're welcome, world.
6. Our state flag features the only seal to be designed by a woman.
When Idaho became a state in 1890, the governor held a contest that awarded $100 to whoever designed the best state seal. The winner was Emma Edwards of Boise, Idaho.
7. We have a
lot of rivers and we have a lot of fun on them!
All of the rivers together in Idaho make up 3,100 miles, which is more than any other state. Whitewater rafting, anyone?
8. The deepest river gorge in North America is hiding in Idaho.
The magnificent and vast
plunges down almost 8,000 feet, which is even deeper than the Grand Canyon!
9. Our college football team plays on blue turf. Just because.
The smurf turf, if you will, has become a sort of Idaho icon. Who remembers the blue uniforms on blue turf debacle?
10. Idaho paved the way for the commercial use of nuclear power.
What’s your favorite thing about being from Idaho? If you enjoyed this list, be sure to check out
11 Things People In Idaho Can’t Live Without!