Idaho January 13, 2016
13 Extremely Weird Things Only People From Idaho Do
You’ve probably heard that Idahoans aren’t afraid of gorillas (and if you haven’t, look it up), but despite our fearlessness of large, hairy primates, Idaho folk really aren’t much different from anyone else. However we do have a few quirks, cultural norms, habits, and preferences that make us, well, unique.
1. We enjoy our personal space more than your average Joe.
"Frank! I can still hear you chewing from here..."
You know how this one goes.
3. Our cultural staples include fry sauce, finger steaks, and ice cream potatoes (but not all at once, because that would be weird).
A few other states claim to have invented fry sauce, but we're a little doubtful.
*Disclaimer: No potatoes were harmed in the making of this chocolaty, delicious dessert.
4. We're determined to tough it through any weather Idaho throws at us.
Snow day? What's a snow day?
5. We also vehemently prefer mom-and-pop stores to big box ones.
Kroger? What's a Kroger?
6. Idahoans don't mind getting a little muddy...
...because dirt is our favorite color.
7. Mountain Dew is our lifeblood (#sorrynotsorry).
We even have a Mt.Dew skatepark to commemorate our love of this sweet heaven-sent nectar.
8. We also bend our hats to make them... umm, bendier.
A new hat always gets a few quick folds around the bill, or is rolled up into a back pocket. Don't ask why... we just like them that way.
9. We really, REALLY like huckleberries and hold festivals for them during picking season.
The end result? Huckleberry jam, huckleberry ice cream, huckleberry syrup...
10. But our bread serves multiple purposes.
Hamburgers, hot dogs, garlic bread, the occasional pizza crust... we're not afraid to improvise.
11. We can buy bait at any gas station in town if we want to... but we'd rather wrangle our own.
What? You don't have live worms next to your slurpee machine?
12. We're also pretty patient drivers... maybe because our traffic jams are a little different than yours.
Sometimes it's tractors instead of cows... or geese.
13. But most of all, we recognize home by the smell of the cow pasture down the road.
Country fresh air for the win.
Here in Idaho, we like to poke a little fun at our oddities. What else would you add to this list?