Idaho May 13, 2017
13 Strange Habits Every Idahoan Will Defend To The Death
We’re a little weird here in Idaho (and no, we don’t just mean Boise)… at least, that’s how it looks to the outside world. Our culture here is definitely “different” from other states! But what seems odd to others is just everyday life for us, and we’re proud of the habits, quirks, and customs that make us distinct from our fellow Northwesterners.
Not all of these traits apply to all Idahoans, of course, but if you’ve grown up in the Gem State, you can probably relate to more than a few of these.
1. We'll drive for hours to find the perfect fishing spot.
And if they're biting like crazy... well, we probably won't tell you where we went so we can go back next week!
2. Coming to a complete stop.
We appreciate turn signals and friendly drivers for good reason, so the "California Stop" simply doesn't fly here.
3. We prefer to experience our music from the comfort of the great outdoors, rather than a crowded concert house.
4. Boots are a necessary wardrobe staple.
For adventure reasons.
5. And speaking of hiking, Man's Best Friend always gets first invite.
Best. Hiking buddy. Ever.
6. Whether dining locally or out of town, tiny portions, fancy plating, and foodie frills aren't really our thing.
"This is just a sample, right?" - the average Idahoan.
7. Rock stacking.
It's a simple, artful tribute to the places and environments we treasure.
8. Every season is shorts season.
9. But... we don't own umbrellas.
Okay, maybe that's not fully true. It's usually a mad rush to the nearest store during an incoming rainstorm because the umbrella we bought during the last big rainfall (last year) is either lost, in the other car, or at home when we need it most. Umbrella sharing is extremely common to see!
10. Potatoes are edible for every meal of every day.
Most people would assume that it's because of our potato-centric reputation, but really, we just think it's a delicious, flexible tuber. Dress it up, dress it down, boil 'em, mash 'em, throw 'em in a stew...
11. We go bonkers for In-N-Out whenever we travel to another state... and have to commemorate the occasion with photos.
Idaho is pure perfection except for this noticeable absence.
12. We find 7-11 stations are just as spectacular, however.
Thank heaven is right! They don't exist here, and we gotta get that slurpee-slushie fix (although, what term we use is a debate in itself!)
And this are how family memories are made.
No screens, just dirt, the great outdoors, and pure imagination.
Alright, Idaho. Now it’s your turn! Are there any other habits Idahoans have?