Idaho December 10, 2017
8 Weird And Wacky Holiday Traditions You’ll Only Get If You’re From Idaho
Idahoans are certainly used to a unique way of living. We like to do things a certain way here, and that includes the way we celebrate our holidays. There are definitely some holiday traditions that are unique to Idaho specifically. If you’re an Idahoan, you probably recognize at least a few of these!
1. We go out and chop down our own Christmas trees.
True Idahoans know that in order to make a tree
truly yours, you have to go out and chop it down yourself!
2. We don't buy our holiday dinners... we hunt them.
Many Idaho Christmas dinners consists of game birds like geese or pheasants. It just tastes better knowing you hunted it yourself.
3. We don't stay indoors on our holidays. We spend them on the slopes!
There's no better way to spend Christmas Day than testing out some fresh powder on the mountain.
4. Going to Tuba Christmas at the Idaho State Capital Building is a must.
This free holiday concert takes place in at the Capital building every year. There's something magical about listening to our favorite holiday tunes echoing against the marble! Take a listen:
5. We'll freeze our butts off just to check out some epic light displays.
It gets cold in Idaho. Like,
really cold. However, that doesn't stop us from wandering out to check out some incredible Christmas lights! It's never too cold for holiday cheer.
6. It isn't winter until you check out some snow sculptures!
An Idaho winter simply isn't complete until you've attended the McCall Winter Carnival where you can stroll among dozens of intricate and impressive snow sculptures! I mean, we've gotta do
something with all that snow.
7. We ring in the New Year with a giant potato drop.
This might just be the most ridiculous Idaho tradition. Yet it is one of our most beloved ones!
8. We spend the first day of the year plunging into ice cold water.
For the past 15 years, Idahoans have been diving into the freezing cold water at Lucky Peak for Make-A-Wish Idaho's Great Polar Bear Challenge. It sounds crazy... because it is. But it's for a good cause!
How many of these wacky traditions do you identify with? If you enjoyed this list, then check out the
16 Things Every True Idahoan Has Done At Least Once!