Idaho December 29, 2016
15 Things People From Idaho Always Have To Explain To Out Of Towners
As sparkling blankets of snow hit Idaho’s far corners and winter tourist season vaults us day-to-day Idahoans into a gaggle of visiting strangers, one thing becomes clear: out-of-towners have some pretty strange misconceptions about Idaho. The Gem State has so much to offer year-round, and while we’re pretty proud of our beautiful state and love showing it off, you can bet that we have to explain a few things to the newbies flocking to our panhandled haven this time of year…
1. We grow more than just potatoes here.
I mean, we really love our famous tuber and all, but there is some epic produce coming out of our fields and orchards every harvest season.
2. We're not all rednecks, hillbillies, or Napoleon Dynamites.
But, sometimes we like to pretend we are to scare you off. *wink*
3. The lack of humidity isn't always a blessing.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Think sweltering heat that feels like it's suffocating you. Think hot, cloudy nights that don't cool down. Think desert areas that soar into the triple digits just as easily as temps in Arizona.
4. But every season is shorts season, regardless.
We like to defy the elements.
5. We don't all live in Boise.
Boise has its perks, but every time Boise is the only thing people recognize about our ginormous state, the rest of the state cringes a little. Outside of Boise is where the
real Idaho is.
6. Magpies. That is all.
Hide your kids, hide your vegetable garden...they're like the seagulls of rural Idaho.
7. No, we don't want your Californian driving habits here.
Seriously, stop kissing my bumper and driving like a maniac. Also, that stick-thing by the steering wheel? You should use it.
8. That empty field right there? We like it just the way it is.
No, it doesn't need a shopping mall. Or an apartment complex.
9. We prefer our attractions to be a little more... natural.
You won't find a lot of big-name destinations in Idaho that aren't nature or history-related. If you want something fancy, you're in the wrong place.
10. Don't even try to predict the weather.
11. Snowplow? That's what the bumper of your car is for.
No, but seriously... they don't plow the roads here. Be prepared to push.
12. There is SO much more to Idaho than just desert.
We love how diverse our state is, and there truly is a region for every mood, whim, and weather preference.
13. Yes, we do have mountain lions here. And bears. And moose...
So when we say you have to lock up your camping food at night,
we mean it.
14. Our state parks are absolutely breathtaking.
All too often overlooked, these expansive treasures are lush, beautiful, and perfect for family getaways.
15. Our skies are bigger, clearer, and bolder than anywhere else.
It's okay to be jealous. We know how good we have it.
From cultural norms and oddities to detailing the things we love about our state, sometimes outsiders just need a little help understanding the way things work around here. What else would you add to the list?