Idaho June 03, 2017
15 Awkward Moments Every Idahoan Has Endured At Least Once
Let’s be real, there’s nowhere quite like Idaho! But sometimes as part of our day-to-day lives, we encounter people and situations that make us realize just how lucky we are to live here and how special our culture is… and how strange other states are. But that’s okay; we’re here to explain how it all works.
1. Controlling the internal horror when a national travel site ranks one of our cities... and suddenly, people want to move here.
This is almost literally the face we make. Then, a mad dash to see our favorite landscapes one last time before out-of-staters take them over.
There's nothing to see here, folks. Idaho's full, please turn your car around.
2. When the lighting is on point and you have the perfect view for a beautiful panorama...but there's someone else on the trail with the same idea.
Do you wait? Do you take it anyways, and Photoshop them out? Ask them politely to move? Make wild moose calls and hope that they leave? There are options... Of course, the extra time you spend waiting for your perfect photo opp is just more time spent enjoying nature, so really, you can't lose.
3. When someone calls Idaho 'boring,' 'flat,' or *insert totally false or ridiculous stereotype here.*
It's a personal insult, really. We're talking about the same Idaho, right?
4. Cringing when someone asks us to reveal our favorite fishing spot...
We might mumble some vague directions, but keep the specifics to ourselves.
5. Dreading the inevitable four-way stop, because everyone wants to let each other go first.
It's called an Idaho stand-off. Or something like that.
6. Having to explain to someone that Idaho's lakes are, like, ridiculously, uniquely beautiful...
And we'd like to keep them that way, thank you very much.
7. Or that it's not all desert here.
Although, our desert is prettier than your desert.
8. When someone invites you to "do something" on the weekend or "hangout," but you have plans with the great outdoors.
9. But next week is looking pretty booked solid, too.
And the same will be true for next weekend, too. And the one after that...
10. When someone says they don't like potatoes.
You what? Is that... physically possible?
11. Realizing that you, your three best friends, and your cousin twice-removed have all dated the same person...
...because small-town Idaho has its limitations.
12. When someone tells us to lighten up...
We're perfectly dandy, thank you.
13. Pointing enthusiastically to the signs when someone asks, "Are there bears or big animals out here?" while camping.
Yes, and yes. Idaho is wild and wonderful, and so is our wildlife! Bears, moose, mountain lions, angry wild goats and sheep... you name it.
14. Having to hold your tongue when someone calls it a "dirt road."
We've said it before - there's a difference between dirt and gravel roads. Outrageously. This will no doubt lead into a conversation about what switchbacks are and how they work.
15. And of course, when you're out-of-state trip but can't stop thinking about Idaho and wishing you were there right now.
We don't mean to ignore the conversation, honest. We're just planning our next backpacking trip.
What do you think? What awkward or uncomfortable situations make you face-palm and/or realize how special and unique Idaho is?