Hawaii February 22, 2017
17 Things No Self-Respecting Person From Hawaii Would Ever Do
As the most isolated population center on earth, the Hawaiian Islands are home to perhaps the most unique destination in the world – and the people who call Hawaii home are just as unique as the islands themselves. Though we pride ourselves on being laid-back and relaxed, there are certain standards we adhere to. For example, here are 17 things no one from Hawaii who has any self-respect would do – at least on purpose.
1. Pass up an opportunity to go to the beach.
Unless it's Waikiki Beach, that is.
2. Choose ice cream over shave ice.
Unless that ice cream is in your shave ice, that is.
3. Take lava rocks home as a souvenir.
No one wants to face the wrath of Pele.
4. Wear their slippers into someone else’s home.
How dare you wear your shoes into someone else's home.
5. Use "Thank You" instead of the traditional "Mahalo."
"Thanks" really should be stricken from your vocabulary.
6. Mispronounce major street or city names.
Because it's fun to watch tourists struggle to pronounce Hawaiian words...
7. Neglect to throw a shaka when someone lets you merge into their lane.
8. Go a day without eating rice.
Is it really even a meal without rice?
9. Check the weather report daily.
Who needs to check the weather anyways?
10. Dress head to toe in clothing from Jeans Warehouse.
Just don't, please.
11. Not defend the miracle that is Spam.
Spam is life.
12. Forget to use your kama’aina discount.
Shame on you.
13. Choose a traditional doughnut over a mouthwatering malasada.
How could anyone choose a doughnut when malasadas exist?
14. Attempt to figure out who your real aunties, uncles and cousins are.
In Hawaii, everyone is Ohana, and it doesn't matter if you're blood related.
15. Use their car horn on purpose.
It's just not done here...
16. Admit to actually enjoying Hawaiian pizza.
News flash: Hawaiian pizza wasn't invented in Hawaii.
17. Freak out at the first mention of a hurricane.
We're so used to hurricane watches, we aren't even phased anymore.
Enough about things we never do,
here are 11 extremely weird things everyone from Hawaii actually does.