Hawaii January 08, 2017
25 Things Every True Hawaii Local Does At Least Once Before They Die
With a total area of more than 6,400 square miles, the eight main islands that make up the Hawaiian archipelago may be small, but that doesn’t mean there is a shortage of incredibly unique experiences to be had. From swimming with sea turtles and learning to surf to hiking Maui’s stunning Pipiwai Trail and witnessing the beauty that is Kauai’s Waimea Canyon, here are 25 things every Hawaii local should definitely add to their Aloha State bucket list as soon as possible.
1. Witness the beauty that is Waimea Canyon, often referred to as the “Grand Canyon of the Pacific.”
2. Go stargazing at the summit of Mauna Kea, Hawaii’s tallest mountain peak.
3. Drive Maui’s famous Hana Highway, a 64-mile trek full of twists, turns and stunning natural beauty.
4. Watch professional surfers catch waves on Oahu’s north shore.
5. Go kayaking on the Pacific Ocean.
6. Hike the Kalalau Trail or take a boat tour of Kauai’s Na Pali Coast.
7. Visit as many of Hawaii’s colored sand beaches as possible.
8. Take a mule ride to the Kalaupapa Leper Colony.
9. Go scuba diving at the awe-inspiring Lanai Cathedrals.
10. Watch lava flow into the sea on Hawaii Island.
11. Savor some incredible noodles at Honolulu’s Marukame Udon.
12. Witness a sunrise (or sunset) at the summit of Mount Haleakala.
13. Learn to surf - or at least take a lesson or two.
14. Get a killer workout by hiking Oahu’s breathtaking Koko Head Stairs.
15. Take a helicopter tour of Molokai and view the world’s tallest sea cliffs.
16. Head to the striking Waipio Valley + Beach for incredible views, an awesome hike, and a secluded beach.
17. Hang out at the iconic Hanalei Bay, on Kauai’s northern coast.
18. Get a history lesson at Pearl Harbor.
19. Jump out of an airplane - our favorite spot is along Oahu’s north shore.
20. Taste some of the best poke you’ll ever find at Kailua-Kona’s Da Poke Shack.
21. Go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, one of the best beaches in America.
22. Hike the stunning Pipiwai Trail, which leads hikers on a journey through a bamboo forest to two stunning waterfalls.
23. Indulge in a scrumptious Dole Whip from the famous Dole Plantation.
Megan Shute/Only In Your State
24. Hang out at the Kaneohe Sandbar, a true natural wonder on Oahu’s windward coast.
25. Swim with sea turtles.
How many of these bucket list items have you checked off? For more bucket list inspiration, check out
our Hawaii dining bucket list, this Hawaii hiking bucket list, and the ultimate Hawaiian bucket list for anyone who loves the outdoors.