Hawaii August 16, 2015
Everyone In Hawaii Absolutely Loves These 11 Foods And Drinks
The Hawaiian Islands are unique in weather, culture, lifestyle, and perhaps most importantly – food and beverages. From popular soft drinks to desserts and specific varieties of sushi, most people from Hawaii absolutely adore these 11 beverages and foods.
1) Shave Ice is way better than a snow cone – so please don’t confuse the two sweet treats.
2) Also known as passion orange guava, POG is a wonderful fruit “juice” concoction.
3) Poke, a raw fish salad, usually consists of cubed ahi (yellowfin tuna) marinated with sea salt, soy sauce, sesame oil, limu seaweed and chili powder.
4) Malasadas, or Portuguese donuts, are wildly popular treats.
5) Kalua Pork, a traditional food usually cooked in an underground oven, is served at most Hawaiian luaus.
6) Taro, a staple in Hawaiian cuisine, is usually grown in pondfields. It can be used to make taro pie, dinner rolls, and even burgers.
7) Made from taro, Poi is a traditional Polynesian staple food.
8) Unlike most of the country, Heineken is the most popular beer in Hawaii.
9) A plate lunch is a specific meal consisting of two scoops of rice, an entrée, macaroni salad, and sometimes a generous helping of gravy.
10) A Loco Moco includes hamburger steak, an egg, rice and gravy… and while it is extremely fattening, it is also pretty scrumptious.
11) And last, but not least, more Spam is sold in Hawaii than the rest of America.
So, which of these foods made it onto your next grocery list?