We love living in our little slice of paradise, but you have to admit it’s a bit different from the rest of the country. Some of it’s good stuff, like gorgeous beaches and springs, and some of it’s a little harder to love, like giant bugs and reptiles. If you’re not a native Floridian and you’re thinking of moving to the Sunshine State, there are a few things you’ll realize about our state. We’ll save you some time, though, and help you get a head start with this list.
1. Sunshine State is a bit of a misnomer.
Sure, we enjoy some beautiful days, but there's a lot of rain and stormy weather, too. During the rainy season it's rare to have a day without at least some light showers.
2. There really are alligators here.
And snakes, sharks, hurricanes and sinkholes. We're also the lightning capital of the country. Be careful out there!
3. South Florida and North Florida are kind of like two different states.
People often say the further you go north in Florida, the more Southern it becomes because South Florida is a popular place for Northerner retirees and transplants and North Florida tends to have more in common with Georgia and Alabama.
4. Holidays here are a little different.
It's kind of cool that we can have Thanksgiving dinner outside and wear shorts and flip-flops on Christmas if we choose to. Sure, our summers can be brutal, but you can't beat Florida winters.
5. There's nothing loveable about lovebugs.
Lovebugs are the WORST. Especially when they mess up your paint job.
6. Humidity is the enemy of your hair and makeup.
If your hair seems crazzier here, it's not your fault, it's the humidity. Either invest in an arsenal of anti-frizz products or just give up now.
7. There are a lot of bugs. Big bugs.
Our subtropical climate means lots of unique flora and fauna. Sometimes it's actually awesome, like when you spot a rare flower or animal.
8. You can totally wear sandals anywhere and any time of year with no strange looks.
When it's cold, just cover them with fur. Or if it's really necessary, wear them with socks (although some of us swear this is a no-no).
9. All of your out-of-state friends and family will be asking to crash on your couch.
After all, we live where they vacation, right? You can't really blame them for trying to save money on expensive hotels. Maybe you could even go on Airbnb and make some extra money?
10. Publix is so much more than just a grocery store.
How has this chain not taken over the country yet? We love the subs, BOGOs and layout of the stores, but the top-notch customer service is what really makes Publix shine.
11. Hurricanes have an entire season, and it's basically half the year.
We don't have to worry about earthquakes or getting snowed in, but hurricanes are a very real threat. We try not to get worried prematurely, but even natives are worried sometimes.
12. There's beauty beyond the beaches.
Our springs are crystal-clear and surrounded by some of Florida's prettiest scenery. Trust us, Florida springs are the best place to cool off in the summer.
13. These things can fly.
It seems to awful to be true, but, unfortunately, it is. Even if you spray around your home, they can still find you on the sidewalks and other public places.
14. The natural waterparks are the best kind.
Florida has so many gorgeous state, city,, county, and national parks to explore. Which ones are your favorite?
15. The oldest city in the country is right here in Florida.
We're pretty proud of having such a beautiful, historic city right here. St. Augustine is a must-see destination for anyone who wants to be a Floridian.
What do you think of this list? What tips would you give someone moving to Florida?