Florida May 02, 2017
11 Strange Habits Every Floridian Will Defend To The Death
We love our state, but we have to admit living in Florida has different challenges and advantages than living anywhere else. It’s probably not surprising then that we have quite a few habits that seem strange to anyone else. Check out a few things that are totally normal and not at all weird, unless you live somewhere else:
1. Shamelessly bragging about our winter weather.
Sorry! We know it's annoying, but we just can't help ourselves. Floridians are basically just a large group of people who said no to snow.
2. But also bundling up when it dips below 60.
Northerners probably think it's funny when we break out the hot cocoa or even use the fireplace on one of these "cold" nights. Expect anger and confusion if you try to take us anywhere colder.
3. Wearing flip-flops pretty much anytime, anywhere.
It seems weird to people from other states, but flip-flops (and sandals) are just part of the dress code here. Yes, there are casual and fancy flip-flops, and we have them all.
4. Spending longer looking for a shady space than you actually spend in the store.
Getting into a car that's been baking in the Florida sun is the worst. Watch out for those seat-belt buckles.
5. Bragging about how great our state is, but at the same time telling everyone not to move here.
Florida is so awesome, but it's full. That's what you'll probably hear if you ask a Floridian about moving here. It's not that we're unfriendly, we're just sick of sitting in traffic.
6. Going outside in the summer at all.
Maybe the heat just cooks your brain a little, but somehow you never think it's going to be as bad as it is when that humidity hits you.
7. Having a love/hate relationship with our major theme parks.
On the one hand, it's pretty cool to be able to take your kids to these magical places for a fraction of what other people pay. On the other hand, they're often so crowded you can't even enjoy them and they tend to overshadow some of the other things we love about our state.
8. Casually coexisting with critters that would have most folks running.
Even if you're not near any gators or sharks, you're probably never too far from a lot of lizards and creepy-crawlies.
9. Partying like pirates.
Pirates and treasure-seekers have played an important role in Florida's history. Maybe it's the tropical climate, or maybe it's just in our blood, but a lot of Floridians will find pretty much any excuse to party like pirates.
10. Being very resourceful when it comes to Christmas decorations.
Hey, nobody ever said a Christmas tree has to be a pine or that snowmen can't be made of sand. We like to think outside the box.
11. Not ever really knowing what "season" it is.
For most of the year, we have to double-check what season it's actually supposed to be. Our seasons are nothing like other parts of the country. It's more like salsa: hot or mild.
What do you think about the list? What are some other strange things Floridians do?