Florida August 21, 2019
9 Realities Of Eating Food In Florida That Only Locals Will Understand
Do you ever feel like there are things about food that only Floridians will understand and nobody else in the country? Don’t worry—we feel the same way. Similar to the
14 Signs You Definitely Grew Up In Florida, consider this something of a foodie version. If you claim your state to be Florida, regardless of whether or not you grew up here, then you probably can understand these realities of eating food in The Sunshine State.
1. You will take a Publix sub over a Subway sub any day of the week.
Because truly, the Publix sub sandwiches are a work of art. And deliciousness. And nobody in any other state can tell us otherwise.
2. Speaking of Publix—you know exactly how to score a free cookie.
Have you ever bee-lined to the bakery? You haven't?! Well then what are you waiting for?! It's the highlight of grocery shopping in Florida.
3. You’ve eaten food with sand in it—you didn’t really care.
Yep. All those beach picnics end up with slight gusts of wind and a little bit of sand in your food. But you know what? That hummus needed a little texture anyway.
4. Epcot Food & Wine Festival should really be considered a holiday.
If you've never been to this epic food and wine festival, then you're missing out. So much food, so much alcohol, so much Florida love.
5. Grilling food year round? Yeah, that’s a thing.
It doesn't have to be summer to light up the grill. In fact, you can grill any dang time during the year and you please. Lose power during a hurricane? Don't worry, the grill will be your best friend.
6. When someone tries to offer you key lime pie made from another state…(insert eye roll here.)
Nope. No. Don't. Do not try to tell me that the best key lime pie is not in Florida. Because it is. And I'll prove it. It all starts with the KEY LIME.
7. A Cuban sandwich is so much more than just a sandwich.
Marrying the deliciousness that is ham, pork, pickles, mustard, cheese, Cuban bread, all pressed and melted and delicious???? Heaven.
8. You know what gator tastes like…and you don’t care who knows it.
And also, it doesn't taste like chicken. So don't try to convince people it does. It tastes like alligator. Because it is exactly that.
9. Hurricane warning? Don’t walk…RUN to the grocery store, otherwise you’re not eating for three days.
Made that mistake before. Never will again. Always the first stocked even during the tropical depressions.
So, what do you think? Should we keep this list going? Add your favorite Florida food realities in the comments section!