Florida December 25, 2017
12 Undeniable Habits That No Floridian Can Ever Unlearn
There’s no doubt that Florida has its quirks, but the Sunshine State is the only place that will always feel like home. And the beautiful beaches, moss hanging on oak trees, and fresh seafood will always remind us just how lucky we are. Here are a few lifelong habits that most Floridians would have a pretty tough time unlearning:
1. Secretly getting a kick out of hearing about how bad the winter is in other places.
You can't help but giggle a little when you're in flip-flops and shorts and the news is going on about a Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon.
2. Always expecting the unexpected.
You never know when you will encounter anything from an alligator to a terrible driver (even if you're not on the road).
3. Keeping an eye on the sky.
Floridians have to look out for things like lightning, low-hanging branches, annoying seagulls, territorial mockingbirds, and of course, flying cockroaches.
4. Using your special sense of always being able to locate the nearest pool.
Hey, when it's as hot and humid as it gets here, any pool is better than no pool.
5. Rolling your eyes when people tell you how they do things back home.
Warning to all snowbirds: Do not attempt. It does not go over well with residents.
6. Cautiously putting on your seat belt to avoid severe burns (in the summertime).
Watch out for those hot steering wheels and seats, too.
7. Wearing sandals just about anywhere.
We're especially fond of our flip-flops, which sort of sums up our laid-back attitude.
8. Going to the grocery store for lunch.
It seems weird, but a lot of locals believe this is where you'll find the best subs in town (in any town). Heck, just about every thing from the bakery or deli here is guaranteed to be good eatin'.
9. Spending more time circling the parking lot looking for shade than you actually spent in the store.
No big deal, just trying to avoid turning your car into a solar oven. On the plus side, you could probably leave some raw eggs and bacon on the passenger's seat and have breakfast waiting for you when you come out.
10. Trying not to cringe when we read the news (or just avoiding the news altogether).
Contrary to what some people believe, there aren't actually more crazy people in Florida than anywhere else. We just have a more open system when it comes to crime reporting, so we hear about a lot more of the insane things that happen here. Personally, I try to keep some shred of faith in humanity, so I avoid reading most of it, but to each his own.
11. Walking through rain like you don't even know it's raining.
We have too many things to do to stop what we're doing every time it rains. We usually just go about our business and expect it to be over in 15 minutes (and it usually is). Thunder and lighting are the only exceptions.
12. Judging a restaurant's Key lime pie like you're a professional food critic.
We just can't help ourselves. We're also judging your beaches and your seafood, just so you know.
What did you think of this list? Are there any other Floridian habits you would add?