Florida July 19, 2017
13 Undying Habits That Prove You Can Never Take Florida Out Of The Floridian
No matter where you roam, Florida will always be home. The beautiful beaches, moss hanging on oak trees, and fresh seafood will always transport you back to your roots. Here are a few lifelong habits you develop living in Florida that you might find pretty hard to let go of:
1. Comparing every beach everywhere we go to the ones back home.
No matter how many eye rolls and groans it elicits, you can't help but mention how much prettier your beaches are back home.
2. Being hopelessly drawn to any body of water.
Floridians are practically born with gills because learning to swim at a young age is important here. A lifelong love of water is hard to break.
3. Identifying seasons in nontraditional ways.
We're used to seasons like "hurricane," "tourist," and "love bug."
4. Rolling with the punches, even in weird situations.
Life in the Sunshine State, with its unique wildlife and crazy news, prepares you for pretty much anything. (Except ice and snow.)
5. Always being up for a good time.
Floridians are generally pretty laid-back and friendly folks, and we're almost always down to party like pirates.
6. Knowing that everything looks better in green.
No matter how much you love a desert landscape, you will always feel at home surrounded by mossy trees and green everywhere.
7. Circling the parking lot for a shady spot, even if it's the farthest one from the store.
Here it makes perfect sense, but it might seem a little strange if you move somewhere else.
8. Not being able to make up our minds about theme parks.
We might have called them overrated when we lived at home, but once we move away we kind of miss them.
9. Bundling up and sipping cocoa when temperatures drop below 70.
Even if everyone thinks we're crazy, we can't help being warm-blooded creatures. It's really hard for us to adjust to places that are actually cold.
10. Telling people not to move to Florida.
Not because we don't love it, we just know how full it is and secretly want to save ourselves a spot.
11. Thinking outside the box with Christmas decorations.
Don't be surprised if your Floridian friend asks you where the palm trees and flamingos are when you're putting up decorations. And don't be surprised if they don't want to build any snowmen. We're not used to putting up decorations when it's actually cold outside.
12. Being way better at dealing with extreme heat than cold.
Though we'll probably be the first to slip on the ice, we're pretty good knowing how to stay hydrated and cool in the summertime. (And less likely to complain a lot.)
13. Wearing flip-flops almost year-round, in almost any occasion.
It's so confusing the first time you travel to another state and realize no one else is wearing flip-flops. This habit is pretty hard to break.
How many of these habits can you relate to? Are there any others you would add to our list? Let us know!