Florida Nature August 22, 2016
18 Ways To Spot A Florida Transplant
If you grew up in Florida, you’re probably used to tourists, snowbirds, and plenty of transplants. Most of the time, we get along fine with folks who moved to our state, but some of them can have a few annoying habits. If you’re a native Floridian, we hope you get a chuckle from this list. If you’re a transplant and you wonder why your neighbors don’t invite you to their cookouts and pool parties, this list might help you blend in a little better:
1. They wear T-shirts and shorts in the winter.
And they probably make fun of you for getting cold as soon as the temperature drops below 60.
2. They have an accent, or even use words completely wrong.
I don't care where you're from. In Florida, this is not "pop."
3. They've never been through a hurricane.
So they still freak out every time one is in the forecast.
4. They don't understand your love of Publix.
Sometimes they even yearn for a "Kroger" or "Wegmans," whatever those are.
5. They freak out about every rain shower.
Most Floridians don't even bother with an umbrella most of the time.
6. They think native Floridians are "strange" or "weird."
...where did they get that idea?
7. They still do touristy things all the time.
They haven't scratched the surface of the "real Florida."
8. They won't go on any outdoor trips with you because they're afraid of gators.
It's true, there are gators everywhere, but most of them do not want to attack people. Be cautious, and you can still enjoy Florida's great outdoors.
9. They freak out about palmetto bugs...
10. ...and mosquitoes...
11. ...and love bugs.
For native Floridians, these are all just a normal part of life.
12. They put on sunscreen every time they go outside, even for five minutes...
13. ...and somehow they still end up looking like this.
14. They don't know how to drive in a storm.
Native Floridians have driven through heavy rains and random storms their whole lives.
15. They're always talking about what they have or how they do things "up north" or "back home."
Which makes us want to do this. We don't want to hear about how great your seafood is, either, by the way.
16. They feel the need to brag about how beautiful mountains are all the time.
We're perfectly happy always being a short drive from the beach, thank you very much.
17. They always get a little sad about not having any snow during the holidays.
We don't need snow to go all out for the holidays.
18. They can't take the heat.
Don't feel bad. We wouldn't know what to do during a winter that was actually cold.
Do you love the Sunshine State and want to make it official? Here are
14 Things You Have To Do Before You’re An Official Floridian.