Florida May 13, 2017
11 Awkward Moments Every Floridian Has Endured At Least Once
Everyone has to deal with awkward moments, no matter where you live in the country. But it seems like there are a few uncomfortable situations that are particular to residents of the Sunshine State. How many of these awkward moments have you endured?
1. When you tell someone you live in Florida and they start asking you about Miami.
Sure, there are lots of cool things in Miami, but it often seems like people from other places just don't understand how big Florida is. Pensacola is a nine-hour drive from Miami, so they're not exactly close.
2. When someone tells you how they do it up North.
It might be immature, but hearing this makes us want to cover our ears and yell, "La la la la la I can't hear you!" And if you say it enough, we just might do it.
3. Trying to shop in a grocery store that isn't your usual Publix.
It's bad enough when it's a Publix on the other side of town, but if it's a different chain, then just forget about it.
4. When people from other states talk about their "beaches."
Bless their hearts. We know we're a little spoiled when it comes to beaches, so we'll try to hold our tongues on this one.
5. Traveling to places with cold or snow.
Traveling to a cold climate is kind of like visiting another planet. We will probably end up struggling with slippery ice, driving in snow, and having no clue what to wear.
6. When someone asks you where in Florida they should move.
We don't want to come across as unfriendly, but it's hard not to tell them that Florida is full. It's not that we don't like you, we'd just like a little elbow room.
7. Having to correct a tourist's pronunciation of Florida destinations.
Calle Ocho, Boca Grande, Micanopy, Kissimmee. Florida names can be confusing for out-of-towners. It's a little awkward to correct someone, but it will save them embarrassment in the future.
8. When someone starts planning their vacation at your house without really asking you.
We all have those out-of-state relatives and friends who like to take advantage of knowing someone in Florida. We totally get that it saves a lot of money, but just make you start by working it out with us first.
9. When a really crazy Florida story is all over the news.
It seems like every year or two a state tries to out-crazy Florida, and Florida has to win back its #1 spot. As much as we love it, we have to admit that some of the most outrageous news ever has come out of our state.
10. When you see what your hair and makeup looks like by lunchtime.
If you're a woman who is very particular about her hair and makeup, you understand this constant battle with heat and humidity.
11. That lovely stroll on a sunny day that turns into a rainstorm.
We've all been there. Even though Floridians are used to getting caught in the rain, there are still days when it can catch you off guard.
Which of these awkward situations have you experienced living in Florida? Do you have any others we might have missed?
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.