1. Washington DC’s skyline is unmatched
A special law stops any building from blocking the skyline so no matter where you are, you can have breathtaking views of the district.
2. The green spaces and parks are out of this world.
Even though Washington DC is a city, there is so much green here. From the sprawling National Mall to the secret gardens to the tiny secret gardens, you can get so lost in nature that you forget you’re even in the city.
There are so many world class museums and so many of them are free!
The Smithsonian has 19 free museums and galleries and there are so many more that you can pay to enter. Whether you love history, science or news, there is a museum you are guaranteed to love here.
4. There are an impressive amount of art galleries.
From modern art to the classics and portraits, there is a huge collection of art in Washington DC.
5. You can watch a live show, the opera, ballet or hear the symphony.
In addition to viewing art, you can see, hear and enjoy the arts. Enjoy an evening at the Kennedy Center or watch a play at the Shakespeare Theatre Company. Washington DC attracts some of the best arts companies in the nation.
6. The monuments will never stop inspiring you.
It’s hard not to get chills when you stand in the Lincoln Memorial, read the names on the wall of the Vietnam Memorial or gaze out onto the landscape from the Washington Monument. The monuments are an incredible tribute to the history of the district and the country.
7. The restaurants here are absolutely delicious.
Washington’s culinary scene is not to be missed. We have every type of food here and some of the very best restaurants and bars in the country.
8. We will always root for the home team
Ok, so they often break our hearts but the Redskins, Nationals, Capitals, Wizards and DC United are our team and we love to watch them.
9. We get all four seasons and they are gorgeous.
The spring is beautiful, the summer is gorgeous, fall is picturesque and winter can feel magical. Washington gets all of the seasons and each one is amazing. (Minus the humidity!)
10. We get waterfront views and water activities on the Potomac River and at the Tidal Basin.
Between the mighty Potomac, the Anacostia River and the Tidal Basin, Washingtonians have plenty of opportunities for boating, kayaking and soaking up the scenic waterfront views.
11. Your calendar stays full with the many events and festivals.
There is always something fun going on in Washington DC! You can find a free or almost free event or festival every week of the year here.
12. The cherry blossoms are magnificent.
Every spring Washington DC lights up with pink as the cherry blossoms peak and no matter how long you’ve been here, that change will never fail to lift your spirits.
13. Every neighborhood is different and unique.
We have trendy nightlife areas. We have charming neighborhood districts. We have bustling downtown areas. Every neighborhood in Washington DC has its own unique personality making a simple trip across town fun and interesting.
14. You can get lost in nature on the hiking and biking trails.
Washington DC is the best place for jogging, running, hiking and biking. There are so many trails and paths throughout the city.
15. We’re a melting pot of culture.
Washington DC attracts people from all over the world. We are influenced by so many different cultures and that influence creates an accepting city full of lively people and traditions.