D.C. November 18, 2016
15 Struggles Everyone In Washington DC Can Relate To
Everyone who lives in DC knows that some days it is really a struggle. There’s the traffic and the weather and the football team and let’s just say it, the political scene can make things a little crazy. Living in DC can be a real hassle and if you do live here, you know these 15 struggles of living in Washington DC.
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. It is insanely expensive to live here.
A study done by the Economic Policy Institute shows that DC is the most expensive city to raise a family. And it’s the 5th most expensive city to rent in the country.
2. The metro is either running late or it’s breaking down or it is closed for track work.
It is so unreliable but you’re kind of stuck using it.
3. Because the traffic here is the worst.
Don't even think about driving on 66 or 495 or 395 anywhere between 6am and 10am and 3pm and 8pm.
4. And if you do drive here, you will never find parking.
And if you do, you will probably get ticketed.
5. Which basically means, it will take you forever to get anywhere.
You know you’ve sent the text that says “Running late! Be there soon!”
6. Even if you walk, you will probably run into a protest that will slow you down.
You don't even stop to read the signs anymore.
7. Which probably explains why, when you do drive or venture further out, you always end up lost.
And it always seems like you're lost in the middle of the night in a bad area and Siri keeps telling you to do an illegal U-turn.
8. Almost everyone assumes you work for the government or for a government contractor.
"So what do you do?” is our famous line.
9. But even if you don't work for the government, whatever is happening in politics factors into your life.
Every two to four years with the elections, there’s usually a new influx of residents and some of your friends are on their way out.
10. Which speaking of, there are interns… everywhere.
They probably are the reason there are so many bouncers at bars these days.
11. And field trips… everywhere.
Don't even think about going to the Mall in the middle of the week.
12. And tourists…. everywhere.
They will ask you for directions.
13. The humidity in the summer is the absolute worst.
You will sweat. Everyone will sweat.
14. The weather is so unpredictable.
Why is it 35 degrees the day after it was 70? Oh right, it's April. Bring a jacket and know you will take it off halfway through the day.
15. Our football team is a national debate.
Everyone has an opinion on the Redskins and very few are about Kirk Cousins.
However, even with every all of these struggles, there is no better place to call home.