D.C. October 28, 2016
12 Ways Living in DC Ruins You For Life
There’s no place like Washington DC. We have it all: the arts, the culture, the sports, the food, the nightlife, the convenience. It may not be a city or a state but to its residents, its the best home in the world. And while some people may leave, there are some things that are never quite as good as they are in DC. Here are 12 ways living in DC ruins you for life.
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. You won’t ever want to pay for a museum, gallery or zoo ever again.
These things are not free everywhere. You’ve been warned.
2. You won’t be able to find amazing Ethiopian food on every corner. And after living in DC, you will crave Ethiopian food.
There are not ten options for delicious Kitfo within a three block radius anywhere else.
3. In fact, you'll be disappointed at the lack of dining options anywhere else.
Only in DC will you find sushi, BBQ, Indian, Chinese, Jamaican and Greek food, all on the same block.
4. You won’t believe that not everywhere is centrally located to the mountains, the beach and the countryside.
A few hours in the car and you're instantly in a new environment.
5. Finding the best flight and your drive to the airport is not as easy as it is in DC.
You have three airports to choose from and they are all within an hour of you.
6. You will miss having a festival every weekend.
Because in DC when you have nothing to do, you just go to whatever festival is happening that day.
7. Spring won’t feel like spring without the cherry blossoms (and all the tourists who come with it).
Nothing beats the cherry blossoms in DC.
8. Your neighbors will never be quite as impressive anywhere else.
Motorcades are annoying but you live in the same town as the President and you probably see a member of Congress at your local pharmacy.
9. Not everywhere has snow days like DC does.
Half of the time is doesn’t even snow but the city still shuts down which just really gives you a day off work. That does not happen many other places.
10. Pizza slices will never live up.
It’s not a slice unless it’s a jumbo slice.
11. No sports fans will ever really feel as dedicated as they do in DC.
Yes, the Redskins are always terrible. No, we will not stop believing they will make it to the Super Bowl this season.
12. You won’t be able to walk past some of the most historical and iconic buildings on a daily basis.
Sure, you shrug about running by the White House on your daily run, driving by the Jefferson on your commute and seeing the Capital building on your lunch break. But deep down, you know that it’s really something special that the monuments and memorials that are part of our country’s history are just a piece of home.
Even if you leave though,
you know that Washington DC will always have your heart.