The Oldest Restaurant In Washington DC Has A Truly Incredible History
People from all over the world flock to DC for its history. They visit the monuments and the memorials, the government buildings, and the cemeteries. But one place that you might not expect history is an incredible restaurant. That’s what you find at the Old Ebbitt Grill, which is known as the oldest saloon in Washington DC. This amazing restaurant has been serving Washingtonians incredible meals for 160 years!
The Old Ebbitt is located at 675 15th Street, NW. They are open from 7:30 am – 1:00 am during the week and 8:30 am to 1:00 am on weekends. The bar remains open until 2 am on weekdays and until 3 am on the weekends.
We recommend the oysters. In fact, we added them to our list of 13 dishes to eat in Washington DC before you die!
The Best Food In Washington DC
What are the staple foods of Washington DC?
The staple foods of Washington DC include:
- Jumbo slice. Every town has pizza, but Washington DC likes the slices to be huge. Locals stop for a jumbo slice after a night out.
- G-Man Sub. This sandwich from Mangialardo’s is known all over DC and is made with ham, salami, mortadella, provolone, fontina, and hot peppers.
- Half Smoke. These chili dogs are all over Washington DC but Ben’s Chili Bowl is known to have the best ones.
- Ethiopian Food. Washington DC has the largest Ethiopian population outside of Ethiopia itself and locals love their food.
Find out more about the staple foods of Washington DC.
What are the most famous restaurants in Washington DC?
The most famous restaurants in Washington DC include:
- Rose’s Luxury. This restaurant always has a long line and doesn’t take reservations. Thor homestyle food is delicious.
- Ben’s Chili Bowl. This is an iconic Washington DC restaurant with the best half smokes in the city.
- Old Ebbitt Grill. This is the oldest restaurant in Washington DC and has some of the best food in the city.
- Graffiato. This restaurant was featured on Top Chef and it serves amazing Italian food that will blow your mind.
Discover more about the most famous restaurants in Washington DC.
What are the most unique restaurants in Washington DC?
The most unique restaurants in Washington DC include:
- Ambar. With a mix of Greek, Turkish, Hungarian, and Austrian cuisine, this is the home of Balkan food in DC.
- CoCo Sala. This is both a restaurant and a bakery and serves some of the best chocolate confections in the city.
- Minibar. Chef Jose Andres has made this place almost as much of a scientific lab as a restaurant with its creative dishes.
- H Street Country Club. This place is a mix of Mexican food, skeeball, mini golf, and shuffleboard. Enjoy a margarita while playing games.
Find out more about the most unique restaurants in Washington DC.