D.C. January 16, 2017
12 Things Every Washington DCian Wants The Rest Of The Country To Know
Many people have preconceived ideas and notions about Washington DC. They think we’re power hungry, work-a-holics living in a boring city. But they could not be more wrong. We want to change your mind about some things and let you in on some DC secrets. Here are 13 things everyone in Washington DC wants you to know.
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. We have more to do than just museums and monuments.
The historical sights and the popular museums and monuments are just a fraction of what DC has to offer. We have great shopping, parks, incredible restaurants and unique attractions here as well.
2. There are other parts in DC not around the Mall.
The part of DC you see in movies and TV shows and read about in guidebook is just one small area of the city.
3. There are so many places around DC that are great to visit.
DC is right in the heart of amazing small town and day trip destinations such as Annapolis, Alexandria, Frederick, Middleburg and more!
4. We are aggressive drivers and we won’t apologize for it.
Traffic is bad here and we drive aggressively. We honk our horns and will cut people off. If you spend hours a day dealing with traffic, then you would too!
5. And you will really struggle to find parking here.
Do yourself a favor if you decide to visit DC. Stay outside of the city and commute in by the Metro or park your car at your hotel and walk and take the bus everywhere. There is not a lot of parking here and when you ask us where parking is, we won’t be able to tell you because most people in DC don’t drive.
6. It’s not as dangerous as you think it is.
Yes, there is crime in DC. But it’s not as dangerous as you think it or as dangerous as crime scene shows show it to be.
7. We’re not rude.
8. We’re not responsible for your taxes or for the laws.
When people say they need to “clean up Washington” or the problem is in DC, they have it wrong. There is only a fraction of people in DC who are lawmakers and elected officials. There are plenty of others who make up the city.
9. You need to swipe your Metro card on the way out.
Please do not put your card away before you get out of the Metro station. You need to swipe it on your way out and you will slow down those of us who are rushing to meeting by trying to figure that out!
10. Some of the best places to find great food and drink, you won’t read about in a travel magazine.
11. The DMV stands for DC, Maryland and Virginia.
The DMV here is not the Department of Motor Vehicles. It’s the DMV area and it’s a good place to be.
12. DC probably isn’t what you think it is.
We’re not just a historical city. It’s not just a foodie city. It’s not just an outdoorsy city. DC is all of those things and so much more. There’s a little something for everyone here and no matter what you think about DC, you will probably be surprised by it.
Did we miss anything about DC that everyone should know?