D.C. October 23, 2016
These 12 Churches In Washington DC Will Leave You Absolutely Speechless
I’s hard to ignore the awe you feel when you step into a beautiful place of worship. They offer ornate architecture, gorgeous details and stunning features. No matter what religion or spiritual belief you practice, you can find a sense of peace in these beautiful structures. Here are the 12 most beautiful churches in Washington DC.
1. National Cathedral - 3101 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington DC 20016
The National Cathedral is truly one of the most beautiful buildings in the entire city. Special features include the 112 gargoyles and 215 stained glass windows. Be on the lookout for the sculpture of Darth Vader.
2. Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception - 400 Michigan Avenue, NE
Washington, D.C. 20017
The Basilica is the largest Roman Catholic Church in North America and is one of the ten largest churches in the world. There are over 70 chapels inside the Basilica, each with its own unique architecture and art.
3. St. Patrick’s Church - 619 10th St NW, Washington, DC 20001
Founded in 1794, St. Patrick’s is the oldest parish in Washington DC. The church features beautiful stained glass windows, a gorgeous organ and sculptures of many popular saints.
4. St. John’s Episcopal Church - 1525 H St NW, Washington, DC 20005
St. John’s is a historic church located across from the White House in Lafayette Square. There are 25 stained glass windows and 1,000 pound bell in the steeple that was cast by Paul Revere’s son, Joseph in 1822.
5. All Souls Church Unitarian - 1500 Harvard St NW, Washington, DC 20009
All Souls was founded in 1821 but the current church was completed in 1924 and features a gorgeous bell tower.
6. St. Joseph on Capitol Hill - 313 2nd St NE, Washington DC 20002
The Gothic St. Joseph’s Church has been on Capitol Hill for more than 140 years. Known for it’s impressive architecture and dark brown brick, St. Joseph’s is an impressive sight among the monuments.
7. Immaculate Conception Catholic Church - 1315 8th St NW, Washington DC 20001
Everywhere you look inside Immaculate Conception you will see a gorgeous detail. From the large stained glass windows to the tall spires and the beautiful statues, Immaculate Conception is a beautiful place to see.
8. St Stephen Martyr Catholic Church - 2436 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC, 20037
Built in 1961, St. Stephen has one of the most memorable artistic bell towers in the city. Inside, the unique ceiling provides for a fascinating look, especially for those who love architecture.
9. Holy Rosary Church - 595 3rd St NW, Washington, DC 20001
The white marble columns, detailed walls and stunning artwork in Holy Rosary make this Catholic Church one of the most popular churches for weddings in the city.
10. St. Nicholas Cathedral - 3500 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20007
Inside St. Nicholas Cathedral, you will see some of the most colorful and beautiful paintings. The tall windows provide shining natural light that is a beautiful addition to the incredible chandeliers that light the cathedral.
11. Cathedral of St Matthew the Apostle - 1725 Rhode Island Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036
The large Catholic Church is home to one of the most stunning interior spaces in Washington DC. The domed ceilings, painted murals and incredible colors make this church a work of art.
12. Chapel in Oak Cemetery - 3001 R St NW, Washington, DC 20007
While far less opulent than the other churches on the list, the Chapel in Oak Cemetery is no less beautiful. Built in 1850, this charming church is an excellent example of the Gothic revival style.
For even more amazing architecture in Washington DC,
have a look at these 8 captivating castles in the district!