D.C. November 01, 2016
by Maura 13 Weird Things People From Washington DC Do
Weird is a relative term but Washington DC is a little bit of a weird town. Full of transients, passion and more opinions that you can count, DC is full of quirks. After you’ve lived here long enough, you start to say, do and believe some things that the rest of the world might find, well, a little weird. Here are 13 weird things people from Washington DC do. Let’s see how many you do!
1. Spend the majority of our time wearing business attire.
2. Paying taxes... without voting representation in Congress. We don’t really know why we do it either.
3. Justify paying so much for housing. There is a studio in Dupont Circle only for $1,600. Such a good price, right? Who needs space anyway?
4. You don’t own a car because parking and traffic are awful. Public transportation and walking are the way to go.
5. You debate absolutely everything. From the best beer in the city to the latest Supreme Court ruling to the best show on Netflix, we can't help but debate everything.
6. Name drop the politician who goes to the same Starbucks as you. “I ran into John at Starbucks today… You know John Kerry.”
7. You avoid the red line and never trust the Metro to be on time. Yes, we rely on it but it doesn’t mean we like it.
8. Don’t even blink at the secret service, FBI agents and security you see on a regular basis. We also don’t blink at going through security and metal detectors every day.
9. Stay away from H Street and Georgetown because it’s just so hard to get to. There’s no metro there and it’s just such a hassle to get there.
10. Never stop believing that our sports teams will be good even though they always break our hearts. Caps are going to win the Stanley Cup this year. Just you wait.
11. Be able to list at least 10 different great brunch places and happy hour specials. We’ll debate these lists too but we always have a list of great brunches and happy hours at the top of our minds.
12. Complain about the weather, no matter what the temperature is outside. It’s always too humid in the summer and too cold in the winter.
13. Never say everything is wrong in Washington DC.
Everyone in the country seems to want to say that DC is broken but we know it’s not. We know the government is not perfect but we also know Washington DC is full of hardworking, fun loving, and good people.
While we may be strange, it’s a great place to live and call home.
However, living in DC will ruin you in some ways.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.