Colorado Attractions December 01, 2015
12 Reasons Why Small Town Colorado Is Actually The Best Place To Grow Up
As I’ve mentioned before, I grew up in a small town of 1,800 and graduated from a class of only 40. While there were many times during my adolescence where I wanted nothing more than to graduate and leave, I am now able to look back and truly appreciate that small town lifestyle and the values instilled in me. To elaborate, here are 12 reasons small towns in Colorado are the best place to grow up:
1. You are given the opportunity to be a big fish in a small pond.
Whether you're best a sports, music, or art, you have the opportunity to run with it and make a name for yourself.
2. The entire town has your back.
Only in a small town will you see literally everyone you know at the Friday night game or at your prom's grand march--they've got your back!
3. FFA receives the respect it deserves.
Students in the bigger cities just don't get it...
4. Traffic is nearly non-existent...
Growing up a few miles north of town, it was a rare occurrence to see more than two cars drive along the highway at the same time, which always gave me a feeling of peace and security. Speaking of security...
5. ...and the crime rate is low.
A lower crime rate is one of the benefits of knowing whether something/someone seems out of place.
6. You can walk literally everywhere.
Those of us who weren't athletically gifted could still stay in shape by walking from the school to the gas station (for a snack) and back again in less than 15 minutes.
7. Students wear their school pride on their sleeve.
"Are *clap* you *clap* proud to be a ~insert school mascot here~? YES *clap* WE *clap* ARE!"
8. The chances of having a snow day in a small town are significantly higher.
Hey, if the bus driver can't pick up the country kids, they HAVE to cancel school!
9. Your grandparents, aunts, uncles, and 5th cousins live nearby.
I didn't personally have this, but my cousins in northeast Colorado did and I was always so jealous.
10. Going to the city for anything is a thrill.
If you already live in Denver, you can't truly appreciate the experience of going to a movie in Denver.
11. Learning to drive is a breeze.
Open highways + virtually empty streets = drivers licence.
12. Growing up in a small town will give you a sense of community that you won't find anywhere else.
Sure, your neighbors may know literally everything about you and your life, but guess what? They genuinely care for you and will always welcome you back with open arms!
Obviously, this is just one writer’s opinion; so what would you add to the list? Let me know in the comments!