Denver March 21, 2018
You Can’t Afford To Miss These 8 Free Outdoor Activities In Denver
Spring has officially sprung and it’s time to get out there and enjoy the great outdoors. Here in Denver, not only can we enjoy 300 days of sunshine, but we don’t have to break the bank while enjoying all the beauty and outdoor activities that the Mile High City has to offer. Check out these 8 outdoor experiences in Denver you can take part in without ever having to for your wallet.
1. Exercise at exactly one mile high. (City Park - 2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO 80205)
Walk the Mile High Trail at Denver's City Park. This 5 km (3.1 mile) route makes its way along the city's 5280 contour line making it official that you are exactly one mile in elevation while on the trail.
2. Take advantage of many options for a bike ride.
With over 85 miles of bike trails in Denver, you can ride to your hearts content with ever-changing scenery along the way.
3. Listen to jazz at one of Denver's most beautiful parks. (City Park - 2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO 80205)
For over 20 years, City Park has hosted Jazz in the Park on certain Sunday evenings during the summer. This free event features some of Denver's greatest live jazz performances on City Park's bandstand. Bring a picnic, sit back and relax, or get up and dance during this wonderful free outdoor event.
4. Get an amazing workout in a spectacular setting at Red Rocks. (18300 W. Alameda Pkwy, Morrison, CO 80465)
Whether you want to hike, bike, or run the stairs, Red Rocks offers an unforgettable backdrop to work up a sweat.
5. Escape the city to view wildlife at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge. (6550 Gateway Rd, Commerce City, CO 80022)
This 15,000 acres of land just 10 minutes from Denver is an oasis for over 330 species of wildlife (including bison, deer, burrowing owls, endangered black-footed ferrets, etc.). You can enjoy hiking, wildlife viewing, bird watching, and so much more at this surprising natural habitat that is found just outside the city.
6. Roam around dinosaurs' former stomping grounds. (Dinosaur Ridge - 16831 W. Alameda Pkwy., Morrison, CO 80465)
Dinosaur ridge offers free self-guided tours where you will encounter exposed fossils and footprints as you explore this historic area.
7. Watch Denver's best skateboarders in action or jump in and give it a try yourself. (Denver Skate Park - 2205 19th St., Denver, CO 80202)
Denver Skate Park at Commons Park is Denver's largest and most popular skate park. With 6,000 square feet of space to explore, you will discover bowls, snake runs, ledges, and so much more fun to be had.
8. Play some "street chess." (16th Street Mall)
16th Street Mall isn't only good for people-watching. You can also get caught up in a rousing game of chess at one of their many outdoor chess locations.
Are there any other free outdoor activities that you would add to this list? Please share your ideas in the comment section below.
Take a closer look at the wildlife refuge listed above:
The Massive Wildlife Refuge Just Outside Of Denver That’s So Worth A Visit.