Colorado February 25, 2019
Here Are 11 Crazy Traditions You’ll Totally Get If You’re From Colorado
Every state comes with its own set of beliefs, customs, accents, personalities, and traditions, and Colorado is no exception! What… you didn’t realize that we have our own special traditions (and a supposed Colorado accent)? We do, and they include such commonalities as:
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. On the first severe weather day of the year, we don't run for shelter; we run for the porch!
Yeah, yeah; Mike Nelson said to go to your basement or to a room without windows, blah, blah, blah... tell us, Mike: How are we supposed to see the tornado and hail from our windowless basement?!
2. When the rest of the country was steering clear of Chipotle during the highly-publicized salmonella outbreak, we were still frequenting it.
Why wouldn't we? It's delicious and - like us - a native of Colorado. (However, we did consider boycotting when they came out with that sad excuse for queso...)
3. Only in Colorado can you pay homage to a lady whose coffin slid down a mountain...
We’re already looking forward to the 25th annual Emma Crawford Coffin Races and Festival, which will take place in Manitou Springs on October 26th, 2019.
4. ...or a guy whose final resting place is a freezer in Nederland.
We don’t have to wait quite as long for this odd festivity; Frozen Dead Guy Days will take place March 8-10, 2019. You can expect plenty of live music, tasty food, cold beer, and coffin races - all to pay respect to Grandpa Bredo, the 110-year-old man whose body resides in a Tough Shed near Nederland.
5. Coloradans enjoy listening to their favorite bands whilst sitting on a slab of rock.
Hey, until you've listened to Counting Crows (or literally any other band) with acoustics that are as smooth as silk, you haven’t truly heard it at its finest.
6. Colorado architects enjoy putting the most random of things in the most popular of places.
This is how we imagine the planning meeting went: "We need something at the airport that says 'Welcome to Colorado'... what about a gigantic and horrifying horse with piercing red eyes?! We can call it Blucifer! Genius!"
7. We mail our Valentine's letters to Loveland just so they can have the official "Sweetheart City" stamp.
Actually, this one isn't limited just to Colorado, as around 200,000 letters come in from all over the country!
8. Torturing ourselves is considered to be a rite-of-passage.
The butt-busting, 2,744-step Manitou Incline might be tough, but the sense of accomplishment once you conquer it is worth the sore muscles!
9. We pit ourselves against each other in the name of school pride.
"Friendly" college rivalries are not limited to Colorado, but it is only here where you cheer on the Rams or Buffs. (Go Rams!)
10. Even in the worst of times, we stand by our men.
I'm not talking husbands, fathers, and/or brothers (though we do love them too); I'm talking Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Rapids, and other beloved sports teams.
11. Finally, we like to complain about anyone and everyone who moves here from elsewhere.
We are looking at you, California and Texas...
For even more Only in Colorado humor, check out
These 15 Pictures Prove That Coloradans Have The Best Sense Of Humor.