Arkansas June 14, 2017
13 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In Arkansas
There are a ton of great things about growing up in Arkansas. If you grew up here you probably have fond memories of spending lots of time outside and maybe some not-so-fond memories of being asked to find a switch. Below you’ll find 13 aftereffects of your raising, in no particular order. You’re sure to find evidence of the lasting impact on your adult life in these weird side effects of growing up Arkansas.
1. An irrational fear of branches.
"Go get me a switch" are the scariest five words ever uttered by a human woman, and you shudder when you think about the sting of those pretty branches. Gazing at trees can be a complicated experience.
2. You always remember bug spray and sunscreen.
Arkansas summers are rough, both because the cruel sun wants to roast your skin and every small critter this side of the Mississippi wants a bite of your flesh. That’s why your friends count on you to bring proper supplies when you’re adventuring in the wild.
3. You fully believe there’s no wrong way to eat an Arkansas tomato, but you’re still willing to argue about it.
The best way to eat a tomato is green and lightly fried vs. fully ripe, sliced, and salted. Okay, Arkansans and Arkansawyers, let’s throw down.
I’m team sliced with salt because I spent a lot of time as a child standing in the garden, holding a salt shaker and my granddad’s pocket knife.
4. In fact, you’ve got deeply held convictions about things other folks take for granted. Like gravy, for example.
Whichever gravy you prefer, I’d be willing to lay money on it being the kind you remember your memaw making.
5. Manners are important to you, especially when company is on the way.
If you didn’t grow up with your mama yelling at you about how company will be here in an hour and you best pick up your mess and act right, I guess your mama isn’t like my mama. Or like me as a mama, even.
6. You know how to pronounce place names that leave your friends confused.
Ouachita. Wash-ih-taw. It ain’t hard, y’all. Get it together.
7. Town names like Possum Grape and Greasy Corner seem totally normal to you.
Arkansas is the best at fantastically unique place names, so you’re totally not impressed by anything that isn’t Toad Suck or Goobertown.
8. You’re not afraid of weather until it gets real serious.
Tornado sirens? Okay, I guess I’ll bring my kitchen chair and cold beer inside now.
9. You’re used to front row seats when it comes to the production of food.
Smells like money.
10. Floating on a lake, river, or creek is the ultimate in relaxation to you.
There’s nothing like a good float trip, and you learned that as a youngster. You’ll float anything deep enough to support an inner tube.
11. You’ve got a favorite swimming hole you hope nobody else finds out about.
You especially hope the people who find it aren’t teenagers. Bless their hearts, they’re so loud and messy.
12. Stunning waterfalls and gorgeous scenic vistas seem ordinary to you.
The feeling is something like, "wait, you mean they don’t have these everywhere?" That’s because in the Natural State, these things really are everywhere.
13. You’ve got high standards when it comes to natural beauty, and most places just don’t cut it.
The Natural State has hands down the most gorgeous natural spaces anywhere, and you’re not going to be impressed by some random waterfall in Tennessee or sunset over an ocean. After all, you’ve grown up swimming beneath prettier falls, exploring prettier woods, and staring in awe at breathtaking sunsets over the mountains.
For unique phrases you heard growing up in Arkansas,
click here. You might also want to check out life lessons you learned and thoughts you had while growing up in the Natural State.