Arizona June 12, 2016
10 Things Arizonans Do Better Than Anyone Else
Snapping photos of beautiful landscapes and making tasty Mexican food aren’t the only things Arizonans are known for. We’re a pretty awesome bunch, if I do say so myself, and there’s plenty of reasons to take pride in our state. Here’s a look at 10 things Arizonans do so well that you deserve a pat on the back.
1. We’re pretty good at dealing with weather extremes.
Our summers have record-breaking hot temperatures with intense storms while parts of our state receive vast amounts of snowfall each year.
2. By the way, since the heat is on my mind (or clouding my mind), Southern Arizonans know how to travel by car while touching the fewest number of things inside.
Everything in your car is on a mission to burn you.
3. We also know how to keep clean, efficient major cities.
If you have lived in any other major city (especially an East Coast one) then you know what I’m talking about.
4. We know how to road trip and with the best scenery and open highways, why wouldn’t we?
5. Arizonans are also good at not smoking.
The number of Arizonans smoking has dropped in recent years and Arizona currently has a lower-than-average smoking population. Plus, the state has led the way in designating public areas non-smoking since the 1970s.
6. We take pride in creating beautiful, xeriscaped gardens with indigenous plants.
Not convinced? Check out the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix or Tohono Chul in Tucson for two fantastic examples.
7. We also know how to make cactus a tasty treat.
Prickly pear is the most well-known source with the pads becoming mild-flavored nopales and the fruit into an endless list of sweet concoctions like jelly, candies, and juice. The Tohono O’odham have been picking saguaro fruit for centuries and it is usually boiled down to a syrup.
8. Arizona and Arizonans are great at preservation.
Aside from our capital’s reputation for doing the complete opposite, Arizona is a good place to see history well-preserved. Meteor Crater, White House Ruins, old ghost towns, and mining towns like Bisbee are all excellent examples of preservation done right.
9. Patiently searching for the perfect shaded spot for your car.
It saves a few degrees and searing parts of your body.
10. We know how to find, photograph, and love every beautiful corner of our state.
What are some other things Arizonans do best?